1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Unitrin Insurance Claims Process Games and Headaches

Discussion in 'Car Insurance Reviews' started by ChevyFan, Jul 22, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Looks like I had to move over from my Response Insurance Company to UniTrin, because UniTrin bought out Reponse. I only had a couple of issues with Response, mostly a billing issue that got ugly, but they did have good customer service otherwise and paid promptly.

Here's hoping that I'll stay with Unitrin for a long time and that the rate will always stay low! :great:

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm so/so with Unitrin right now. They have not communicated very well with me after my wreck two weeks ago. I have to pay for the rental car up front and then they will send me a check. Plus, it's been over two weeks and I have not seen the appraisal for the Trailblazer, so that concerns me. They flat-out said that they would not pay for storage for the TB right now and I need to move it to a free storage place, but that concerns me as I have the right to get my own appraisal done.

So, the rates are cheap overall, they were quick to respond to the accident, but overall they are going slow on my end. That's kidnda working out, becuase now I have more time to look around, I'm just afraid they will not pay for the rental car. They appear to be nickle-and-diming me on this. Makes me worries.

3. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

Unitrin is really bad to deal with, I got hit by a gal that was driving a GMC van. It totaled out my truck! Anyway she had UNITRIN and they were a pain in the butt to deal with (lawsuit pending).
    031.jpg

4. ChevyFan

Well, there you go. Thanks for that perspective. Unitrin is actually not being very nice right now, I'll post over some of the texts I've been getting in email from them.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

This is actually pretty outrageous. I signed the form for the repair shop to release the vehicle, so it's good to go. I know for a fact that they have not called him and "asked my why we have not picked up the vehicle..." so that's an outright lie to me. The policy states that I have a "reasonable": timeframe to find a new vehicle, or get mine repaired, so this idea of 2 days after they tell me the total loss is just BS. Plus, they didn't give me a copy of the appraisal, he just took part of the appraisal and attached it to the end of his email, so I can't tell what the options are.

Honestly, I think I'm dealing with someone who's not very bright. Sigh, oh well, need to be salt of the earth I guess and tolerate those less fortunate on the planet. :) haha

5. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

I have Geico they took care of my truck and went after Unitrin, but getting Unitrin to pay for my medical is another story, I had to get an attorney!:grrrrrr:

6. ChevyFan

Sorry about that, it's tough and I can see both sides of the situation, but come on ... don't outright lie to me.

Here is what my policy states:

Here is what my claims rep just wrote in an email:

The problem is, he sent me a short email that I guess is supposed to contain the proposed value for the vehicle. There is no appraisal so I'm not sure they have all of the features and options for my vehicle listed for me to see.

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow steve, just not your luck with insurance, but this is the kind of undercut crap that it seems that all companies are trying to do these days. And when my mother (ive yet to have a total loss) had a total loss with state farm and they offered here a price that was considerably less than fair value i did some searching online for her and found an exact replacement (just for value purposes) that had 100 more miles on a dealer lot. I sent her the link and she printed it out and sent it to State Farm. Low and behold they "adjusted" their offer to a number just a little under what the dealer was asking.
    But yes i agree that this person might be A: not bright, or B; under a quota to keep the payouts low, and using the aforementioned undercutting tactics.
    All i can say i keep the to the policy that they agreed to since that is a contract that you both agreed to when you bought the vehicle. But talk about frustrating!

And ive said it before. I know that everyone has had a problem or two with every company (alot like certain cars etc) but i have had nothing but great treatment from state farm for 10 years now. Ive had several Comp claims and they had an appraiser at my door in less than 48 hours of me filing a claim, and on 2 of those instances they actually appraised more damage than the shops appraisal. Also even with my mothers 2 total losses it was more like an negotiation than an arguement when it came to payouts and rentals etc.. And there was no real hostility just more of a company trying to save money and if you let them they would keep it, but if yo did your homework they were more than happy to work with you.
    Also with state farm (amusingly so) i have yet to find a company that would come within $50 per month per vehicle in premiums..
    but keep us posted steve so at least the next guy can avoid the same problems!

8. ChevyFan

I had a good chat with the guys supervisor at Unitrin. I think that the rep was not very experienced, that's just my opinion. In any case, we worked out a deal to give me a rental car through next monday and we'll see what we can do on the storage fees for the TB when it was at a lot. They're going to give me something that appears to be a fair value for the TB, so I'm not upset at all about it. I should get the money and try to get my credit all cleaned up in the next week and try to get a car the week after that to replace it.

I will say this, I think there are people who try to take advantage of the insurance companies, so left unchecked we'd be spiraling out of control. I just want to get this all behind me and get into a new vehicle and it looks like things are back on track.

9. ChevyFan

Hopefully I'll get the check NEXT week. I was supposed to drive to the salvage yard to hand over the title, but I couldn't figure out where to go there. Sigh, just a long drawn-out process.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Total payout after everything is $6600-ish. That's after the $500 deductible, so they went over $7,000 - that includes taxes and all other fees too.

So I get a check for $6600 next week, maybe this week.

10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

WEll at least you were able to get everything settled down.