1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

universal cooling fan Question

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by 85 S10 Man, May 4, 2013.

1. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

i have a 1985 chevy S10 with a 2.5L 4 cylinder in it.Well i changed the engine out to a 1989 2.5L 4 cylinder with wiring harness and everything.

the problem i got is the clutch fans are different and the parts place here wants over 50.00 bucks for just the clutch for the fan.What i was going to do is replace the clutch fan with a electric fan but with a S10 it has a 14inch tall radiator.

What my question is: can i use a 12 inch universal cooling fan and be safe where it won't burn my newly installed engine?

The one i was going to get is a 12 inch that straps to my radiator where it won't move.The tie straps go threw my radiator like zip ties and i just cut the end off and be done with it. Then wire it to a relay where it will come on when it needs too.

So will i be safe or sorry if i install one of these universal fans on my truck?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
  2. stratct

stratct New Member

I know that if you want to run electric fans that the ones from a early to mid 90s Taurus with the 3.8 v6 are a good choice. Bone yard should be packed with them
  3. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

If you want to go with new stuff this outfit http://ffdynamics.com/ has elec. fan kits for just about any sys. out there. Gramps
  4. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

I wouldn't chince on the cooling fan with a cheapo ebay unit. I've heard some of those have completely inadequate air flow, and it would be unwise to risk damaging a new engine over $50-$100.

X2 on the Taurus fans. There are several posts in the GMTC that deal with this specific issue.