1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

universal parts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by z71roids, Feb 21, 2014.

1. z71roids

z71roids New Member

Hey guys, I figured out my truck (04 Silverado z71) needs a new transfer case, I found on craigslist a guy parting out his 01 Silverado z71..

So my question is
    1. Will his transfer case work on my truck
    2. Will his ecm work in my truck?
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

just get your t case repaired .
  3. z71roids

z71roids New Member

The only thing with that is, I need my truck daily, for work and to get around. It will take a shop down here atleast a week if not more to rebuild it.. and will probably charge a arm and a leg to do it.. (commonwealth) this guy only wants 300 for both so I need to know if it will work on my truck or not :O
  4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

question 1: Probably...

question 2: No.

Jim
  5. z71roids

z71roids New Member

it was hooked up to the same tranny mine has 4l60e so im hoping its gonna work, and why don't you think the ecm will work?
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

ECM's do not work in other vehicles. They have several programs that keep track of stuff for just that one VIN. Another ECM for the same year will work but it will have to be re-programmed (flashed) for your particular vehicle.

As far as the transfer case, maybe.
  7. z71roids

z71roids New Member

how much does a rebuild kit run? im thinking about trying to rebuild it myself
  8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

have a repair shop that has done many of these and they will repair it properly also take care of the case wear issue.

rent a vehicle so you can get around.
  9. z71roids

z71roids New Member

If they are both np246 transfercases, will it work?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm only 19 so I can't rent any vehicles, most rental places around here you have to be atleast 25...
  10. z71roids

z71roids New Member

hey guys, so I went with my gut and blindly went into rebuilding the transfer case myself... Turns out they are not very complicated at all and I did it in about 3 hours put it back in the truck and it works like a champ. thanks for everyones help