1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Upcoming mods

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by rileyjr16, Mar 4, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Just wanted to throw out some future mods and fixes since my head won't stop turning on the inside.

1. New door speakers all way around with heavier speaker wire (stocks got wet and sound like crap)
    2. Sound deadening material on floor and possibly above headliner (idea from SurrealOne's truck)
    3. Wash and try and buff some scratches out
    4. Fix leak in wiper fluid tank.
    5. Clear LEDs under bed rails and in toolbox so I can see what I'm about to grab
    6. Fix odometer
    7. New rear bumper
    8. New muffler with less interior drone

Hoping to get #s 1-5 done tomorrow before going rabbit hunting one last time Monday.
  2. chilax

chilax New Member

I've been thinking about doing bed LEDs for a while now to... whats your attack plan on it? I have a few... been really leaning toward using EL Wire but not sure how that holds up to weather...
  3. rileyjr16

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=17935&attachmentid=34240

Thats a picture of LEDs I used to have in the bed. I took them out after getting frustrated about the wires getting in the way of doing actual work. I have regular old 14 gauge wire that I bought from Oreilly's in a roll and they held up quite well. I didn't really wire it the way I wanted since I found myself doing it at night with mosquitos flying everywhere so I rushed it and hooked them up to a rocker switch in the cab. Ran the wires through the anchor points where there was no chance of them being touched by rope, bungee chords, or ratchet straps in the anchor points.

This is my new plan;

Since I now have a tool box, I will run the wires from the cargo light switch covered in the split wire protector/hider to make it look less CHARLIE FOXTROTTED. I will tap them into the cargo light switch, come out under the truck following the other wires that run from the fuse box, going up the inside of the bed, out of the front driver side anchor point where I will split the wire and run the driver side LED with the passenger wire running through the tool box with a strip in there, into the passenger anchor point and out under the passenger bed rail.

Haven't decided if I just want to do 1 strip under each rail or 2 under each. In that picture, that is 4 total, 2 under each rail; 1 is going in the toolbox for sure. Mostly doing this so I can see what I'm grabbing and that I don't reach into the bed again and grab another snake.

I know that the wires might sag under the bed rails so I want to put the retainers with screws into the side of the rail and the toolbox to hold the wires up. Haven't had my reconassaince look at the truck yet so plans can change. Also going to put some quick disconnects at strategic places.
  4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

I also like that bed LED idea. May have to do that someway what with the cap on and stuff.
  5. rileyjr16

6. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

Thanks Riley! Book marking that. Think I'll buy it, and put the switch in the bed so I can use it as a interior light while I'm camping!
  7. rileyjr16

No prob. Thats where I got the idea. I was thinking about putting a switch in the toolbox but I figured I'd break it
  8. AMac

AMac New Member ROTM Winner

Wow, just doing #3 for me would take all day, well most of the day. You are certainly ambitious, let us know how it turns out. So you already have all the material?

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

If you go through with this let me know how the install went so I can think about it for my rig. THANK YOU in advance.
  9. rileyjr16

Didn't even come close to #1. I was more tired than I thought. Wanted to stay in my bed all day but got up to go give blood around 3. Oh well I'm sure thats why God invented the rest of the week.
  10. AMac

AMac New Member ROTM Winner

hehe...I like that "I'm sure that's why God invented the rest of the week." I was lazy today too but amped up the energy to wash/dry the truck, wipe the wheels, shine up the moldings. I'm getting the new wheel put on tomorrow and need to present it well..LOL Need to get up early tomorrow to see how many spots I missed and take car of them before bringing someone to the airport.