Updates & Post Quotes

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by SurrealOne, May 29, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION], [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION] ... take a look at the post that is before this one? Think we might have a problem with the 'updated' code? Perhaps it should only apply to posts made by the same person within a smaller window of time?

I mention this in the hope that you will point it out to the powers that be. What once was a readable response by Nak is now a wall of quotes and responses that's downright obnoxious ... thanks to the so-called 'updated' "logic" on the site. :(
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Definately see what your talking about.
    Im not sure if the time frame is adjustable or a preset amount of time, this isnt the first site I've noticed this issue on so I know its part of the sites coding causing this.
    It does turn simple posts into one long drawn out ordeal.
    I know site post count is the ultimate goal for many site admins, I wonder how this affects the site count if at all.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

This thread was created from off-topic posts made in this thread and moved here. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...under-a-few-places-so-I-am-posting-here/page2

Instead of having someone respond to a bunch of posts and have them all create new posts, this tool now adds back-to-back posts inside of the same thread when they are made by the same person inside of something like 48 hours.

The reason for this is to stop a bunch of new posts being made when someone wants to bump his/her own thread to get attention. By adding the new post to their last post with an --Updated -- tag between content sections, it means that there is no additional post credited to the user's account and also no additional bumping to the top of the list on "Today's Posts" ...

Most of the time this tool gives us the desired effect, it keeps all of the content together for the same member. There are a few occasions where serious and significant content is added back to back where it would be easier to have it broken into unique posts, but there aren't all that many so we're going to stick with this for now as the benefits do outweigh the detriments.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah, that really bugged me, I was at work and not able to reply to people as they posted, so when i got home I wanted to reply back to all the questions/ comments and it stopped me at the last one because I had reached a character limit for 1 post.

Then because you can't post multiple times in the same thread one after another, I could not reply back to the last post; which really isn't right.

I get the whole thing about not wanting people "bump" their post count, but this is a situation were it prevented responding to the comments which isn't right either.