1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Upgraded Power Steering Pump 1991 Suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crawdaddy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In relation to a recent event that occured yesterday (see my blog about it), I'm in the market for a new power steering pump and pulley. I figured while I'm replacing it, I might as well replace it with an upgraded pump. So, does anyone know of an upgraded high-flow pump that would fit into the stock position of my 1991 Suburban with the 5.7L engine. It has the factory accesory brackets with the power steering pump on the lower drivers side.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Here's a link to the blog post: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/entry.php?1714-The-Power-Steering-Pulley-Ceases-to-Exist
  2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not aware of any upgrades of this kind. Just replace the unit with a good quality replacement and you'll be good to go.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

OK. Thanks for the help. I might add a power steering cooler in, but it depends on how things go and how much time I have before I have to have this truck ready to roll again.
  4. Crawdaddy

After evaluating how much of a pain it would be to swap the power steering pump out, I decided I'd leave it and just replace the pulley. I left my truck keys in the picture for size comparison; that should be around 8" in diameter!

[​IMG]