GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Upgraded to a 2012 Silverado Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by GrizzlyTN, Apr 20, 2012.

1. GrizzlyTN

GrizzlyTN New Member

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 - Z71 - 4x4 - 5.3 - Crew Cab - 6speed - Red w/ Black leather I got the Z71 upgrades (dash/console, body colored grill and mirrors)

Loaded her up, and love the truck but the six speed transmission is definitely something to get used to. No matter what I do, I can't get it to shift down smooth before I have to hit the accelerator (at a stop sign or turning) it doesn't shift down quick enough.

I notice when I'm taking off from a complete stop it wants to shift down to save fuel but it is irritating when I have to push it harder to get up and go....

Being brand new I figure that it has the latest software update for the transmission but it may just be me getting used to more gears?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

congratulations on the new truck. And thats one of the downsides to the 6 speed and the computer trying to squeeze out the economy.

P.S. Wheres the pics?
  3. GrizzlyTN

GrizzlyTN New Member

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

Great looking truck:great:. Now its time for all the Mods:rofl::lol:
  5. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

The 6 speed definitely takes some getting used to, but you find the zone from 2nd to 3rd where you get some power. Also, try using the tow button on the column shift to give you higher shift points. As others have called it the go fast button. Great looking truck. What are your plans for it?
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I loved the z71 package I'm thinking bout ordering my 2500 to get it how I want it
  7. jnbama

jnbama Member

Nice truck and need to come to the Summer meet in August, I lived in Jackson/Milan for 10 years really miss being in Tenn.
  8. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I find im using the tow/haul in the 6 speed all the time. it stays in v4 mode much better up to about 50mph and im getting better mpgs. I dont like the timing on the shift points in regular drive.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

I use the "M" instead of "D" sometimes around town. With the "M", I select 4th gear and the tranny forgets about the other two. I find it is a big improvement to stop and go.
  10. GrizzlyTN

GrizzlyTN New Member

Thanks guys! It's badass the way it is buuuuuut yeah the MODS are coming.

I've played with the "M" mode some, but I'll try the towing button and see how that goes. It pisses me off when it drops down in gear and your left with no power around 3rd gear and have to pop it to get up and go. The 5.3 is powerful enough to be fast and smooth without all this herky jerky crap.

Probably going to do 33's or 35's Nitto Trailgrapplers this time instead of the Nitto Mud Grapplers. Yeah I know they don't look as good but the road noise is I N S A N E on roadtrips.

Not sure about rims.... the Moto Wheels are always a favorite of mine. I only like Chrome for me, the black is new school I guess.

Going to improve the exhaust, not sure if I want chrome tips or cutoffs this time. Flowmaster probably. I'm more concerned with a nice smooth rumble instead of a loud clap.

The sound system is perfect, it's loud as hell and deep base. It's a Bose sound system.

THE LIFT...... I did a rough country 3" last time and it was perfect but I'm thinking 4" Rancho Suspension lift this time
    http://www.gorancho.com/suspension.php?make=Chevy_GMC&model=07_12_chevy_silverado1500#lift

JNBAMA Where is the meet at?
  11. clhaggett

clhaggett New Member

Never expected to see someone who lived near Milan on here. My dad was stationed there in the early 80's and of course we lived near Lavinia (sp) and the post office was the size of a kitchen.
  12. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

I never thought of doing that. That's genius! I'm going to try it today on my way home from work. Did you notice if it impacted the mpg at all? I'm curious to see the results.
  13. catmechanic07

catmechanic07 Former Member

Do the 2012 models have the 8 cyl cutout? If so, duals are gonna sound like crap when it runs on 4 cyl. Mine does that so I got the Diablo to do away with that feature. Well worth the $350 for that plus I can do shift points and speedo calibrations. Im new here so you may already have know all this.
  14. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member

Really nice looking truck. Congrats. When I bought mine it was brand new as well and was the nicest thing I'd bought as well. Now I have the mod bug, but I love my truck. Glad to hear you do as well.
  15. jnbama

jnbama Member

Hermatage, TN east side of Nashville Aug 4th- look up Southern regional truck meet GMCErica

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

Lived Milan and Jax for 10 years ,2008 temper, stress and smart @$$ boss didn't get along , found myself unemployed middle of recession. Sold everthing moved down here and stayed with my sister for awhile
  16. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

MPG is not good in stop and go anyway, never checked for a change. Probably wouldn't be much different.
  17. GrizzlyTN

GrizzlyTN New Member

DEFINITELY made a difference using the tow button. It shifts better but it makes it shift noticeably harder.

I still think they should be able to program the 5.3V8 6speed transmission to be FAST and SMOOTH....... without having to buy an extra programmer anyway.