upgrading exhaust, anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by randyb2004, Jan 23, 2007.

1. randyb2004

randyb2004 New Member

I thinking of replacing the exhaust on my 1995 K2500. At least a cat back system. Anyone replaced their's with something that sounds good but is not too loud. Truthfully I was thinking of a header muffler in place of the stock muffler and just a single 3" out. My 1989 Chevy has a hole in the pipe just before the muffler and it sounds real good, not loud either.

This forum looked lonely with no posts.

BTW, thew 1989 K2500 is for sale see, Craigslist in Allentown PA.

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I had "true duals" with "Flowmasters" on a '96 Silverado I used to have. It sounded good, except for the "drone" inside the cab @ cruising speeds. I did gain some performance, but don't need the interior noise.

1 person likes this.
  3. randyb2004

randyb2004 New Member

Every car/truck with Flowmasters I've known was loud. My 1989 truck has a Dynomax cat-back on it and was very quiet untill the hole developed in the pipe. If you want real quiet go with a dynomax. I'm looking for something with a little more "sound" to it. I'm just tired of listening to annoying rice burners running around. You just can't beat the sound of a V8.

4. scjzman

scjzman New Member

I upgraded my 03 Sierra to a single Magnaflow with dual custom bent pipes and long stainless angle cut tips. It sounds very good and I don't get any drone. That's why I didn't do Flowmaster. I call the guys at Summit Racing and they gave me all the information I needed to make the right purchase. I get better MPG and more power too.

5. sidedrifter

sidedrifter New Member

3 Inch

I have a 3 inch cat back with a Magnaflow on my 99 GMC Suburban and I am more than pleased. I thing it woke it up a fair amount .I know it helped with towing my boat.

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We've got smog laws here too now...but. Buy dual cats/mufflers of choice. Find the shop in town that'll do custom bending. Shove those 3"ers right out the back (make that ol' 2500 talk dirty to ya) Or bologna cut out either side.
    May I suggest some bady blue Walkers...LOL

7. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a set of Flowtech Ceramic Coated shorty headers for sale. Never installed. I paid around $380 for them a few years ago. Sold my Suburban so I have no need for them. Just taking up shelf space. Make me an offer. They still sell for $329.95 in Summit. Will fit the following:
    88–95 Chevy/GMC Truck, 1500/2500, 92–95 Suburban, 92–94 Blazer/Jimmy, 95 Tahoe/Yukon: 5.0L/5.7L, Tube Size 1.5" O.D., Ceramic Metallic Coating

Email Smokingreen94z if you have questions.

I found this post somewhere else if ya want to put headers on. LET's MAKE A DEAL (What is this a game show)
    good luck

8. RichardG

RichardG New Member

exhaust upgrade

I put some Doug Thorley headers on my '99 2500 Silverado with a Gibson muffler, no cats and single 4" tailpipe. The engine is an '01 8.1L and the sound is awesome. It drones at 1800 - 2000 RPM in the cab. Too noisy for for my wife so it goes to the muffler shop Tues for some resonators. If it was just me I'd leave it alone but it sets off the neighbors car alarm when I drive by.

9. kailono

kailono New Member

Borla with dual 4"

I put on a Borla exhaust system with 4" dual exhausts exiting right behind each rear tire. Supposed to give me an increase in gas mileage but we'll see. The advertised 20hp boost is evident especially on the low end. To me I'm not used to the resonating growl when I start it up, but I'm slowly getting used to it. By the way, I have a 07 Tahoe, don't know if that was the smartest thing to do but oh well. Would like to know what you think of Superchips flashpaq and what kind of filter is best?

10. mr.copenhagen

mr.copenhagen Rockstar 100 Posts

gibson has a good exhaust system out..iv got it on my truck its an extream duel kit..not too loud..but loud enuff..