Upgrading headers: questions about O2 sensors and running rich/lean

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by corland, Dec 31, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. corland

corland New Member

Merry Christmas-

Christmas was good this year, I have a 2000 k2500 crew-short with the 5.7 in it. My wonderful wife said I could fix it up. It is cosmetically a 10, and the engine runs great. I bought a flowmaster exhaust, edge programmer, and flowtec shorty headers to put on. My question is: The truck is going in to the shop to have the headers put on in a few weeks. I will also have them run the exhaust to the muffler, getting rid of the cats. I have been told the O2 sensors are a problem. I have a K&N cold air intake, and the Mass Airflow Sensor is gone because of this. Wont my truck run too rich, and wont I need my programmer to alter the computer for this? You might wonder why I am doing this if the truck runs good. Well I am new to horsepower. I want to use this truck as my snowplow truck/hunting truck. Plus Noone has one in town. Any help with this truck in general is greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member 100 Posts

welcome to the site....sorry I don't have any knowledge on the O2 sensors,
    but I am sure you will get the info you need on this site.....Brian from Canada
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

:sign0016:to the GMTC. You should post your ideas in a tech forum it will help you get insight.

You can tell the truck to ignore not having cats, but most states require cats on the vehicle or it automatically fails emissions and isn't street legal. The K&N kit should tell you to install the MAF or the truck will run like crap. Modern SFI trucks need their O2 sensors and MAF or they cannot figure out what the fuel to air mix will be. I would install the MAF it should fit. Headers will help hp so will a tune. You can put empty cats over the exhaust pipes so it looks like they are there. Modern cats are minimally restrictive and you can get a system they is very high flow. Use AC Delco O2 sensors and MAF because it will help eliminate problems when messing with the ECM.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome! :great:

It looks like Conlan Rose has you all set on answers to your queries...
  5. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you with us. :glasses:
  6. csltrains96

csltrains96 New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!
  7. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to GMTC, great to have you here.:great:
  8. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I moved your thread to this section and changed the title to represent your topic. Hopefully, this will help in getting your more opinions/responses.

And Welcome to the Club!!!