1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Audio upgrading speakers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Burden33, Apr 15, 2012.

1. duckduckdog

duckduckdog Rockstar 100 Posts

I just order 6.5's for my truck and according to crutchfeild they will work without modification. I plan to start tackling the beast this weekend so I will update. I went with KENWOOD based on some real good reviews and being pretty cheap.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Stick with 6 1/2's They will fit and Have a better sound then a 6x9... As for the guy with the 4x6.. Some Co's do make a 4x6 plate speaker But they will only handle about 40-60 watts RMS.. Some Better 4in Speakers come with 4x6 adp plates.. Some people have put in 5 1/4's in there and they will sound good..

As for Sound? I like Jl Audio, Focal and the higher end Kenwood,Kicker and Alpine..

3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I put 6.5s in my back extended can door. It's a pain to make them fit and I do not recommend it. They came out clean and stock looking but they will easily dominate if you don't tune carefully because they are so big and so much closer to your ears then your door speakers.

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I threw in schosche (sp?) HD speakers just for a replacement of the blown 13 year old speakers and I like them so far. Just have to get some for the rear now and maybe put the 6x9s in 2 separate boxes under the seat maybe

5. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm running at least 100 watts rms to them. They are on an orion 600.4 the last time I checked it it was about 120. The ones I have installed pop on a hard bass drum hit or something, even with a xover and bass truned all the way doen on the amp.

6. Enkeiavalanche

What speakers are you useing? Brand and model?

7. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm using Kicker KS series 4x6. They run 60 watts max and 30 rms. So they don't handle much and sound bad.

8. Enkeiavalanche

As I said before a 5 1/4 will fit with a little work But make sure it's the same Brand and series that you have up front.

9. duckduckdog

duckduckdog Rockstar 100 Posts

The 6.5's work without modification. Installed all four in about 1.5 hours. That included fishing out four clips that I dropped inside the door for about 30 minutes. Easy breezy! And the sound is much improved!

10. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Lol uh no...in an extended cab you HAVE to modify the rear doors...