1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

upgrading to cd player ~ 2005 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rick1835, Jul 28, 2013.

1. rick1835

rick1835 New Member

I have a 2005 silverado with just an AM/FM radio in it with no fancy steering wheel controls. I would like to replace it with a factory gm cd player. is this possible or does the radio have to be programmed to the vin number for security reasons..my current radio says nothing about anti theft system. I also saw factory cd player on gm parts direct for same price as a new after market..I just want to go with factory for thieves won't steal them but they will a after market even if its only worth 5 dollars..thanks...
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

If you have no steering wheel controls t worry about, just get a decent Kenwood or Pioneer. You can get bluetooth and USB support with aftermarket as well.
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

@rick1835 This is the unit I have in my 2001. It does NOT play CDs. It's AM/FM and MP3-input only. I converted all my CDs to MP3s anyway so that's why I went with a non-CD capable unit. Skip this unit if you really want CD capability but otherwise it's pretty nice. I like it because it looks stock, espcially if you have tinted windows. It's difficult to tell that it's aftermarkter. It's all black and doesn't have a big flashy screen or colors.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD1630/Jensen-Heavy-Duty-JHD1630B.html

My OE headunit is CD capabale. If I still have it, would you be interested in buying it for cheap? I just moved from a house into an apartment and had to downsize all my crap. I hope I didn't trash it.

Here is the same unit with CD capability:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD3630/Jensen-Heavy-Duty-JHD3630BT.html
  4. anven

anven New Member

I happened to have a factory 05 CD player that i took out of my truck few years back. If you're interested, I can sell. make an offer. Its just collecting dust on my shelf. Should be a drop in replacement.