1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Upper Ball Joint Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by rileyjr16, Sep 11, 2012.

1. The Heater

The Heater Member

The separator tool is referred to by us old schoolers as a "pickle fork".
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Just went ahead and bought the pickle fork anyway for the future when/if I have to do this again; only 10$. So tomorrow I will be doing this in the morning and will be getting an alignment later.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

A combination of these techniques works for the really stubborn ball joints or tie rods.
  4. rileyjr16

Well I got them changed out. All I have to do is tighten 12 lug nuts and spend more money for an alignment. Did have a stubborn ball joint on the passenger side; would not tighten down. If I turned the nut, the threads would spin inside of the joint...took a few minutes of head scratching to figure that out as the truck had all the weight on the ball joint. So about 10 wacks on each side of the control arm with a maul and it was good as gold. Took a lunch break to eat some steak and gravy. Kinda anxious to see how it rides now.

Thanks for all yalls help gents
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Glad to here that the removal and replacement went well.

- - - Updated - - -

lol, that is what I call it. But, if you go to autozone and ask for a pickle fork most of the guys there would look at you like you did not know what you were talking about. You should have seen their faces when I was looking for a 1 1/4" Crows foot.
  6. rileyjr16

A what? lol
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

8. rileyjr16

Oooohhhhhhhhh
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

Good to hear you got it swapped out.
    I went to Ace hardware (I know not exactly the mecca of tools) and asked for a 15/16 crow foot and got the same response. They had some hanging on a hook so I showed him what I was talking about they just didn't have the size I needed.