1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

URGENT! Chilton's to sue GMTC auto forum over Posted Link?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ChevyFan, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

As I have posted on here, we're facing a serious medical issue and I've not been keeping up with the site and my email very well for some time. I just got around to answering old email and something alarming popped up.

Backstory
    So, I guess a marketing manager for Chilton's has been trying to manage their products and keep things from being illegally copied and shared online, that's my speculation anyhow. That's cool, I respect that and wish them the best luck in going that. It's not easy and maybe it's a sign of an outdated business model, but I digress.

This person (I have not verified if they are really employed for Chilton's or not) has contacted me asking me to remove this thread due to "giving away free content."

As far as I know, there is nothing in that thread, or the rest of the site, that is a violation of any copyright laws. Am I missing something? Someone posted a link to a library or something, if so then they have a problem with the other website, NOT GMTC. I'm not really even aware of what these links are or what they do.

What to do now?
    So, I just today reponded back today asking for more information and clarity on their request, and I would certainly link to know what laws are being violated by GMTC on this issue.

Just be aware that it's possible that forums like this can and do get sued from time to time and this can be very expensive, so I'm just trying to be prepared for all options here.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

reserved for future post.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

As I posted on your other thread about this, the Chilton link was "given" to us by a poster. I don't understand why the onus is on you, GMTC or the posters here for using a free site that was given to us by an unknown entity. Whether is was theirs to give us is an unknown, but I think Chilton should be looking to close the leak in their company, rather than go after the site(s) that it was given to.
    I know you have a lot on your plate right now, so if you don't have time to research whether or not it is legal to have the link on here, then just to be on the safe side, take the thread off. We won't miss it, we don't need it & since Ms Jennifer from Chiltons is being so pissy about it, we won't be buying any stinkin Chiltons manuals in the future either ha ha ha
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just pull the thread Steve. No point in getting in legal trouble and possibly having to close down the site due to a link to Chiltons, either directly or indirectly. We can deal without having access to Chilton's guides on the site if it still means we can have the site.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2 there! i prefer the actual tech manuals from GM, better info.
  5. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

X3. This is such a minor issue, it's not even worth the potential trouble.
  6. ChevyFan

They seem to be pretty heavy handed on this though, and pretty misguided, that sort of rubs me the wrong way.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Oh i hear ya, but how much do people even use the chilton guide thread anymore it really hasnt gone up in numbers that much in the past year. I guess it is even less exposure for them, and less of a reason for anyone on the site to recommend a maint. manual when asked which is prefered.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Thread in question (Chilton's link) has been posted for Over 2 year's and they are Just Now raising a issue about the the thread??.....:neutral:

X4.....on just removing the Thread in question......It's Not Worth the problems........We have more than Enough information and/or Knowledge from are Member's here on the Site.....that we don't need the Chilton's link.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. ChevyFan

I can't get to anything on any link in that thread. I'm in the dark I guess. Can someone explain to me what link they're fussing about and what harm is being done?
  10. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pull the thread and be done with it. You don't need the head ache of dealing with them. Members here are resourceful enought to find what they need elsewhere.