Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

***urgent*** having a few problems with my tahoe!!!! Please help!!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by switchblade94, Feb 3, 2013.

1. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

hi i have a 1996 Tahoe and my 4wd isn't working due to my one abs wire is shredded on my passenger side front wheel well and its been locking up randomly at city speeds (Canadian 50km/h-70km/h) and they wont unlock until i completely stop and most times wont unlock till im stopped and put it in neutral and i gave it a thorough bath tonight and on my way home out of no where my rear drivers side wheel just locked right up and than my emergency brake light came on and when i hit my brake peddle it sank to the floor i had to put my truck into reverse because neutral wouldn't unlock it than i got home and i looked underneath my truck and its leaking a bit in my rear drivers side brake drum.....please help me what has happened!!!! i need to know within the next 24 hours!!! [​IMG]

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You may have a major brake problem. First try to remove the ABS fuse this will disable the abs and not allow it to kick in. if symptoms continue you should do a full inspection of the braking and drive line. BTW never kick the truck to reverse well moving forward you will ruin your tranny.

3. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

I only put it into reverse after a have completely stopped and I repaired the abs wire but the parking brake light and abs light is still on do you think it could be because I have no guts in that drum that blew up?? And IM tuning on 3 brakes atm I need this fixed by Tuesday as I am starting a new job...

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

it sounds like you blew a rear wheel cylinder. What do you mean you have no guts in the drum? Did you take parts out?? The lights are probably on because you are low on brake fluid. You need to have someone look at it! Like conlan said, there is something crazy going on there if the front tire is "randomly locking up" while driving and you have to go thru a complete procedure to get it unlocked.

5. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

Yes all the part are taken out of the drum and the line to that drum is blocked off temporarily and no IM not low on brake fluid....but yes the rear wheel cylinder also blew up but all of the springs and everything fell out when,I took the drum,off....and the tires were locking up because my abs wasn't getting a proper reading due to my abs wire being broken (fixed that tonight) I've been around enough vehicles to know my advanced engine/ drive train and electrical but not drum breaks...as 70% of dragsters have disks all around....but yea.... IM going for my parts tomorrow and my buddies a GM tech he's gonna help me fix it...

6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Get it fixed before it damages other parts and you kill some one when the brakes go out. Also when you got the drum off check your axle seals because they eventually go and leak axle grease ruining the drum lining, this is from personal experience. Just get it fixed because every time you hit the brakes you bleed fluid out.

- - - Updated - - -

You posted just before me so now my statement is invalid.... Ok well still it stands you NEED to fix your brakes. Also the drums GM used in the 90's are fairly advanced plus they are abs drums.

7. Pikey

When you stated that they randomly locked up. Did you mean while braking or just driving? I took it as while driving.

8. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

When IM braking....but I fixed that part and abs light is on due to there bring no guts in the one drum and my 4wd still isn't working.....it has the new gen( 97and up) actuators I n it....any one else have this problem??? It's a late month built so it has all the stuff from 97 to 99 classic

9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

If it were me... I'd also replace the bolt and sliders for your front calipers as they always get corroded and stick causing the calipers to hang up.

10. Pikey

I agree. That would be AFTER I put the back brakes back together.