1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

***urgent*** having a few problems with my tahoe!!!! Please help!!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by switchblade94, Feb 3, 2013.

1. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

It was because the abs...now just gotta repair the other sides abs wire and also found out that the centerline in the leaf springs were screwed so replaced those as well than gotta fix the 4wd (if it's not because the and is sending improper signals due to wire being torn)
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

ABS will not impact the 4WD
  3. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree. Sorry to say it, I think that you might want to have someone else look at the truck.
  4. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

I been told by 3 licensed gm techs said that my 4wd won't fully engage due to the abs sensor not being able to send signals and also it's all tied together electronically through the ecu
  5. Pikey

I don't believe it. I had a wheel hub go out while I was 60 miles away from home in a severe snow storm. The bad hub damaged my sensor and my ABS light was on. I drove home in 4wd with no issues. It was on a 95 silverado
  6. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

Mines a 96 made late in the year and it has the new gen drive train in early 96 they had the vortec engine and the vacuum actuated front diff mines full electronic
  7. Pikey

I checked 3 different autoparts store websites for the years 1996-1997-1998 tahoes. (because yours is a borderline build) ALL of them only had electronic front differential actuators for the truck. There is a actuator for the T-Case that is also electronic. It opens and provides vacuum telling the t-case to engage. But, the front diff is electronic. My 95 was also electronic not vacuum.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. switchblade94

switchblade94 New Member

You are wrong man, I was just under my Tahoe lastnight........
  9. Pikey

Hmm, apparently all the parts stores are incorrect also. Well, would not be the first time.
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree with Pikey here... I own a 96 Tahoe, my left front ABS sensor is dead and I can still engage 4wd no problem. The front diff is electronic and the T-case is as well. My truck came off the factory floor 1/10/96.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the drive train in 96 was the same as in 97, 98, and 99 as well as the 2000 Tahoe classic besides so minor improvements. There was only minor improvements in ECM software, transmission improvements (strength and durability), the add of AutoTrac in 98, and some improving of the steering. The same T-case was used for 96-99 and the same front axle. This includes actuators unless the 98+ had a different one for AutoTrac. All Tahoe's from 96 on had standard electronic 4wd.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013