USB port question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by feb, Nov 30, 2012.

1. feb

feb Rockstar

Some of my USB drives do not work in the USB port. When I first plug it in, it works. But if I turn off the truck and get out for a few minutes, the drive can not be found. I have others that do not have a problem. Does anyone know why this would happen. They are all new drives.

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

How are the USB's that don't work formatted? I found when I was trying to install a hard drive that the format matters.

3. feb

feb Rockstar

How do you find out the format of the flash drive?

4. dobey

dobey Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

If you never specifically formatted the drive, it's probably FAT-32 already. This isn't an uncommon problem though. My Cruze does similar things with my flash drive, and doesn't even work properly with my MP3 players. Sometimes it will start playing a song and then after about 30 seconds just skip to the next song. And it always happens on the same songs when it starts doing it. I have to actually delete the song from the drive, then copy it back after, to be able to listen to the whole thing again. It will also sometimes just decide to lock up the entire stereo hard, and nothing on the stereo will work at all, including switching to FM. Only way to get stereo back is to shut the car off, open the driver door (so RAP will cut off), then start it back up. The head unit is also incredibly dumb about how it deals with indexing the music files on the drive, or how it does "random" for the USB drive.

It's a very poorly designed system, but works OK most of the time. Not sure if it's any better in other vehicles, but I somehow suspect it isn't.

5. feb

feb Rockstar

It is a Fat32. Thanks

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

On my 2013 Silverado, I formatted the 8GB flash drive in FAT32. No problems.

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

From day 1 my USB port has recognized my MP3 player but wont play the contents, it will play my wifes Ipod through the USB though, I have to connect my MP3 player to the aux connection to get it to play.

8. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

[MENTION=40835]dobey[/MENTION], thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and feedback of the head unit in your Cruze. We take your comments seriously and they will be saved so many departments within General Motors can read them.

Michelle, GM Customer Service assisting Evan