Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Used Oil Analysis - Just bragging

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by paracutin, Mar 16, 2012.

1. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

Just thought I'd do a little bragging.
    I bought my 04 2500HD in November of 2008 with about 30,000 miles on it. I just turned 70,000.
    I sent an oil sample to Blackstone last month just to see how she's looking.

Attached Files:

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

That's a great report card. You should post some key steps with corresponding dates/mileage you took (or previous owner if you have those records) to receive this kind of good news. Also, I'm just curious, how much does did the analysis cost?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

what type of oil have you been running?

4. paracutin

I really don't do anything special. Change the oil when the message system tells me to (usually) which is about every 7,200 miles. The last change, which was the longest I have ever gone, was approximately 9,200 miles. It was not by plan, it was just too darn cold to do it and the truck is too long to fit in my garage.
    I have used Mobil 1 5w30 and an AC Delco filter since the day I bought it. I average about 11,000 miles a year with 60% highway and 40% around town. Beginning last year, from April thru September (ish) I pull a 5,000lb pontoon to the lake as many weekends as I can. ...and I NEVER "drive it like you stole it"! Like I said, nothing special. Blackstone charges $25 for the standard test and an additional $10 to measure the additives remaining. So it cost me $35 to find out the internal condition of my engine. Money well spent in my opinion. I will probably have it done again in 20,000 ~ 30,000 miles. I am going to do a trans service this spring and will be sending a sample in just to see what up.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Mobil 1 5w30 and an AC Delco filter.
    Been running Mobil 1 since I bought my first decent car in 1990.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

If you change your oil regularly and use a quality oil why did you send the oil in for analysis? Where I work at we send samples in quarterly to test the oil to see if it needs changing. Our machines run 24/7/365. Is there really a benefit in an analysis?

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Interesting...thanks for the additional info!!

7. paracutin

Without sampling once in a while, let's say every 30,000 miles, how do you really know the internal condition of your engine? Just because you use a quality oil and change it regularly doesn't mean you won't have premature failure of a bearing or a camshaft that wasn't properly hardened from the factory. Both of which happen and would be detected by an oil analysis. Also, the computer in my truck recommends an oil change at about 7,200 miles. Based on the oil analysis I can extend that to about 11,000. That saves me money and time. So I get peace of mind and fewer oil changes over the life of the vehicle. That's my benefit.

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I was unaware that such info could be gathered from the oil. Thank you for educating me on this. I will have to look into doing this for my truck.

9. farmermike

farmermike New Member

You have an oil change schedule that shows no wear, why change it????? Go to 11000 miles and when the oil analysis shows wear the damage is already done. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

10. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for the information. I've considered getting an analysis done as well, but that's mostly because it's been going through oil faster than it should and since I'm out of the country for a while, maintenance falls on my wife to get done. She knows how much I love that truck, so I'm sure it'll get done.... probably... I'd just like to see something in print telling me what it looks like.