1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Used Truck Prices

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ChevyFan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm in the market for a project truck, looks like I'm going to have to spend at least $10k to get what I want. Roughly 10 years old, 4 door, 4WD ... that's my base.

Is it just me or didn't you used to see a lot of these types of trucks for like the $6 to $7500 range and now they're all $10k+?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Prices went up because new trucks are so expensive ... and the economy is so bad ... that the used market took off. That's not just trucks, mind you, it's across the board.
  3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

10 years old and you can't find a truck for under 10K? You're in the wrong state!
  4. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Even in Canada, the prices are high too for a truck.. New trucks are crazy priced..but the taxes and interest that you have to pay for a used truck are ridiculous...but up here, we only have domestic truck/car dealerships, so they are all competing for business.. You can get a good deal up in my neck of the woods... but you would put a lot of KM's driving home!! LOL
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep between the economy and new truck prices the used truck market took off again.
    I used to be able to turn 5-6 used trucks a month and turn a nice little profit, now trucks are hard to find at a price that has any profit left for resale.
    The last few trucks I looked at that were priced low enough to turn over were in such bad shape I'd eat all my profit getting them cleaned and repaired for resale.
  6. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You need to head north of the border to Oklahoma. I've found over a dozen for less than $10k from dealers.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Two words to watch for: salt, rust

Both were common on trucks in Kansas; I'd expect that to be true of OK, too.
  8. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Good point. It's something I always look at when I'm buying a truck, but I never think about it when I'm not in that process.
  9. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

What has not been mentioned is that when steel prices hit a high many folks got more from a scrap yard for the steel than they would ever get on the used market. . Aslo older trucks have more steel so those wanting a solid truck buy older
    r
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

4-door crew cab and 4WD mind you.