Updates User tagging feature has been updated

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jun 6, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I just performed an update to the user tagging feature on here. It looks like all of the bugs have been worked out, so try it out and let me know if it's working properly. The only thing I have not tested is it there is a space in someone's name, I guess this post that I make will tell us if that got fixed or not.

WHAT IS USER TAGGING
    If you have to ask, this feature allows any user on the site to "tag" any other user in a Twitter-style tag. So just enter an @ followed by the username with no spaces if you want to tag a user and bring that post to their attention. When your post is submitted that username will be hyperlinked (see below) to their user profile, and that user will also be notified that they have been mentioned inside that post.

Here's an example, I'm just pulling some usernames from people that have been on recently, or those who have commented about this system being broken in the past.

@SurrealOne @Enkeiavalanche @mfleetwood @Pikey @Conlan Rose @Steve @tbplus10 @Crawdaddy

- - - Updated - - -

Not 100% sure, but I think you can turn this feature off as well so you don't get notified and even so that other's can't tag you.

Also, I think there might be some issues when you tag a list of people in an edited post, that still maybe an issue, but we'll see if we have a workaround on that.

The major issues of not being able to grab people's full names seems to be fixed.

@McClintoc

- - - Updated - - -
    @Chevy Girl - This is a two part user name. These now work when tagging.

- - - Updated - - -
    @GM Customer Service - This is a three part user name, let's see if it will pick this up.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just having fun tagging all of the people that are online.
    [MENTION=11460]Megasaurus[/MENTION] [MENTION=36460]reggiecab2000[/MENTION] [MENTION=61467]BlackBeaard[/MENTION] [MENTION=60787]ChevyChaser[/MENTION] [MENTION=53221]Curky[/MENTION] [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION] [MENTION=37117]GM Customer Service[/MENTION] [MENTION=60472]goingyourway[/MENTION] [MENTION=43101]IanF[/MENTION] [MENTION=58304]Jamm3r[/MENTION] [MENTION=61502]nonnieselman[/MENTION] [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] [MENTION=57614]stchman[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION]

2. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It worked. I even got an email? I'm fine with that. I might have to fix my settings. Thanks [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION]

3. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION], this is very cool! We can now flag someone inside of a post and notify them to come there at the same time.

4. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Member 1 Year

Now thats pretty neat.. i was trying to figure out what was goin on at first but i got it finally..

thanks [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION]

5. ChevyFan

Not a problem [MENTION=61502]nonnieselman[/MENTION]. We have a lot of updates that are going to come out over the next few months ... this was one of the smaller items, I just happened to get around to it at lunch today.

6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Someone called my name. What's up? :p

I got an email saying I had been mentioned. System seems to be working. [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION]

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

got the notification

8. ChevyFan

That's great, glad that it worked for you! :)

9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

worked out for me too