1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

v6 problem ~ Won't Start in Damp Weather - 1999 Chevy Silverado 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by larrybarr, Oct 30, 2013.

1. larrybarr

larrybarr New Member

1999 Silverado v6 4x4 will not start in damp rainy weather. any ideals how to fix the problem, thanks
  2. SeanBurgandy

SeanBurgandy New Member

Have you checked your air filter? Maybe your filter is clogged/wet and is suffocating the motor? Will the motor turn over if you turn the key?
  3. larrybarr

larrybarr New Member

I had already disconnected the air filter, no luck with that. engine turns over good.
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure? It sounds like a fuel issue. That or one of the sensors on the intake side may not be reading right in damp conditions.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Maybe you have some ignition wire problems, give those a check out.
  6. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

remove the distributor cap check the rotor / cap for water. wires on the v6 need to be routed as OEM built or you get these type problems.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

x2 on checking the cap and rotor. I had a truck in a week or so ago that had the same issue. He had taken it to multiple shops and a dealer. No one could figure it out. I talked him into letting me throw a cap, rotor, and wires on it. Problem solved. You can always pop the hood in a dark garage and spray the wires down with water. Look for arcing.
  8. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

being the v6 engine this is the one where the ac lines drip condensation on the rotor cap ?

if so these lines need be wrapped with tubing insulation to prevent this driping on distributor.
  9. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

Does it crank? I had that issue about 5 years ago and it ended up being my started. There was this little rubber piece on the bottom that was gone. It allowed moisture in the starter making it not crank. May be something to look into.
  10. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I don't believe the NBS has a distributor cap. I thought GM went to distributorless ignition on the Silverado starting in 1999.