V6 Vortec?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Lightzz2k, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Lightzz2k

Lightzz2k New Member

hey guys I have a 1988 Chev 1500 with the 305 in it. My engine is shot which is a shame its only got 160k on it but I was told i could drop a V6 vortec in it and it would line up with my tranny. Is that So? or not at all
    thanks!

2. IThurstSObad

IThurstSObad Rockstar

i wouldnt go to a v6 if i were you.keep the power of the v8 and just drop a low mileage 305 or even 350 in it out of a used 88-98 chevy.Another thing,buy a TBI not the vortec.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

to do the vortec you would need the ecm from the doner vehicle, also the tranny in your current truck might not be suffecient for the vortec motor (computer controlled), but I am not for sure on that one. Just find a TBI 305 or 350

4. Lightzz2k

Lightzz2k New Member

The real reason is fuel milage. My dad has the same truck as mine and his runs mint and its horrid on fuel, So i was thinking the V6 would be a bit better on fuel

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if your MPG was low it may be reversed when you get a new engine, as far as the TBI motors they seem to respond well to better plugs, wires and distributer, also adding a better air cleaner on top will help.

6. D.sluff

D.sluff New Member

V6 Vortec

Does anyone have a vortec from a S10, blazer, or jimmy along with its wiring harness, one of my friends wants to convert his 4 to a 6

7. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

the mileage would be about the same.ive got a 4.3L v6 vortec in my 92 Jimmy and the gas wasnt as good as i had expected..but, believe it or not thats the fastest truck ive ever had.my 04 silverado (4.8) and my 97 dodge (5.2) cant even touch this thing haha