valentine radar install in a 2007 Silverado/GMC

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by spgsilverado, Sep 23, 2007.

1. spgsilverado

spgsilverado New Member

hi. i just bot a 2007 Silverado 2500 HD
    i have a valentine radar. seems like all the dc outlets /plugs in the vehicle are all full-time on. they arent switched so they dont shut down when the truck is turned off so i'm a bit concerned about unnecessary drain on the batter.

i have a valentine radar and have a hardwire kit. i need to clamp onto hot and grounded wires that are switched. i was thinking there MUST be something in the overhead/rearview mirror/homelink garage door opener area.

anyone have any ideas? diragrams? schematics, etc.
    how do i access that area?

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm thinking it would probably be best if you just ran a line down the A-pillar and tied into one of the fuses in the fuseblock under the dash. I know it would be a bit more trouble to pull the trim for that, but it's worth your while. Everything up in that console area should be very low amperage and most likely switched through the headlight switch, etc...not something you want to tie a radar detector into.

3. seige909

seige909 New Member

In my last car i tapped into the moonroof hot wire for my valentine installation. I plan on tapping into the dome lights when i get around to installing it in my new truck.

As crawdaddy stated, you really dont want to tap into anything in the console as they are normally low amperage, but on the other hand, it doesnt require a lot of amperage as it isnt doing anything but turning on and lighting up. Your call.