valve cover gaskets

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sheep, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. sheep

    sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

    havent been on in a while been busy working and stuff havent had much time to get on but im back to working on the truck. i recently did the oil cooler lines(would of just did away with them but i had already bought the lines before i figured out i could do that) replaced the o-ring and gasket in the oil filter adaper, spark plugs, spark plug wires, new oil, tensioner pully ass. and fan belt.

    well when i was doing the spark plugs i noticed that on one side of the motor the valve cover gasket is leaking and so im going to replace them and clean up the valve covers on the outside and make them look nice. i was looking and it looks like there is some kind of sealent and i was wondering what it could be and if i should get it when i replace the gakets? thanks to anyone that can help
  2. ct9a

    ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    Yes they use a sealant. Silicone sealant is what some people use, others use a gasket maker. Just ask the guy at the parts counter and they will show you the stuff they recommend.
  3. sheep

    sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

    ok thanks :)
  4. Jimmiee

    Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    Usually silicone sealer should not be used on rubber gaskets. In theory the rubber gasket needs no extra sealer. Make sure the bolts are not loose as even new gaskets will leak with loose bolts.
  5. Z71_guy

    Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    if the new gaskets are a pre-molded rubber you should not need any extra sealer
  6. sheep

    sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

    ok but can i maybe prevent future leaks longer if i use a sealer with the rubber gaskets? or would it just be a big mess and a waste of time and money?
  7. ct9a

    ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    They're correct, sorry about the whole rubber vs. silicone thing, didn't quite think that one through. I know on my rubber gaskets, if there's a spot that absolutely needs something added to it I use Honda-bond. You can get it at Honda dealerships for a few bucks. I used it on Hondas when I worked there and I've used them on many cars since then. If you're using a decent gasket, you shouldn't have any problems as there aren't too many sharp corners on the valve covers of Chevy V8's like there are on some imports.
  8. sheep

    sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

    ok well thanks, i think i have all the info i need, ill probably take pics of the cleaned up valve covers once im done. i probably wont be doing it till friday tho its suppose to snow here tomarrow and the next day and the temps will be a little low till then

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos