1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Valve cover replacement help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by MonkeyWrench, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench New Member

Hey everybody.
    Looked at a bunch of Chevy forums and decided I liked this one the best so I joined.
    Might as well get right to it.

'05 silverado 1500 5.3 2wd 137,000 miles.
    I started to notice a small oil leak coming from the passenger side valve cover towards the rear of the cover. So I called Chevy and a whole new valve cover kit was relatively inexpensive so I decided to replace the whole cover with my next paycheck. My Haynes manual covers the procedure pretty well and I'm handy with a wrench, looks like its just a matter of getting to them by removing the wiring harness and the coil pack rail. what I was looking for is any advice in doing this procedure.. Things to look out for, easy way to get the gasket to seat properly while trying to get cover on etc. also I will be doing this after the truck been sitting all night so I don't need to worry about spilling any oil correct? Another thing I wanted to ask is it necessary to replace the oil filler tube with the valve cover? Or can I put the existing one on the new cover. The tube is like $55 so I'd like to avoid that if possible. One more thing. My oil pressure gauge on the dash went out sometime ago. (Needle just laying on the 80 side. Never moves) if I replace the sensor towards the back of the engine. Behind the manifold cover. Will that fix the gauge?

Thankyou in advance fellas. Doesn't look too difficult just thought I'd try and ask for a couple pointers.
    Happy wrenchin.
    MW
  2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

When I replaced my covers with some better looking ones it is relatively simple. Remove the bolts holding/grounding the packs to the bracket. Next disconnect the subwiring harness and remove the packs. Then your left with the bolts holding the valve cover itself (I forget how many bolts, eight I think). Best to use a wobble extention for this part. Remove, install new gasket direct on valve cover, and repeat the steps. If you plan to reuse the filler tube be careful as they get brittle with heat and age.

It's the oil pressure sender unit and it's a real pain to get to. Its behind the intake manifold on the drivers side of the engine and the sensor runs like 70 bucks. I had the problem and it fixed it for me.
  3. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench New Member

Kylez71 thanks for the reply.

Yea the cover kit from Chevy is only $145 so I can afford that and will be doing it by next weekend. Ill let you know how it goes and try to get a couple pictures up. Gotta clean the engine with eng degreaser this weekend and order the covers. Hey do i need to use like weather stripping glue to hold the gasket in place for reassembly or does it stay in the little channel pretty good? Thankyou for the advice.
    As far as the oil pressure sensor I actually saw a post in this forum that shows an easy way to replace it so ill be doing that this month too. But yes it does look like a PITA. :)

hey quick question. What aftermarket covers did you go with? I was just going to do Chevy ones again since they seemed to last about 135,000 miles..
    thanks again
    MW
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There is a groove on the underside of the valve covers, which holds the new gasket nice and tight. There is no need to use any type of glue, I would also recommend cleaning the mounting points of the coil brackets. They get oxidized over time, use some sand paper and clean the coil brackets where they mount to the valve cover. This is a major grounding point for the ignition system.
  5. KyleZ71

These are the ones I went with http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-262/overview/
    I could not stand on the way the is engines look and felt like dressing it up. I got the felpro gasket and it fit great, no adhesive needed.
  6. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench New Member

TRPLXL2

thanks so much for that awesome advice regarding cleaning the ignition coil brackets ill be sure to clean them up.

And KyleZ71

those covers are sweet!! Love the "Chevrolet" print on them. I was going to do one side at a time to be more affordable but I might just bite the bullet and get these with the felpro gaskets from pepboys. These summit covers seem to hold up well and fit well?(no leaks?) And the bolts are included looks like. Thanks again to the both of you for helping. Ill try my best to get pics up of a before an after.

MW
  7. KyleZ71

With the ones I got they fit great. You need a coil mount bracket that mounts them up out of the way to clean the look up. Problem is youll need the longest wires msd makes. Started getting expensive but I totally love how my engine bay looks now.