Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Van Won't Start - Instrument Panel Dimmer Makes Clicking Sound - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by fusionflip, Apr 12, 2013.

1. fusionflip

fusionflip New Member

GM PART # 15150325
    CATEGORY: Instrument Panel Dimmer

Today I went to start my van, but it was a no go. It doesn't do anything as if the battery is dead. No radio, no lights, nada. I just bought a new battery 3 weeks ago and tested it with a multimeter and am getting 12 - 14 volts so I know it's not the battery. The instrument panel dimmer however clicks like crazy when I open the doors or take the key out of the ignition. I went to GM and bought a new instrument panel dimmer, but the new one did the same thing, so it's got to be something else.

I noticed a few weeks ago that every other time I would turn the key in the "on" position, I would have to hold the key in the on position for about 1-2 seconds before it tried to start. This problem was fixed though when I got the new battery about 3 weeks ago. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I would bring it up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank so much!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What your van are we talking about? I don't know much about the vans. I wonder if there is a relay that could be bad, that would explain the clicking, or it may be a wire shorted and the "clicking" sound is actually sparking.
  3. fusionflip

fusionflip New Member

My Van is a 2002 Chevy 2500 express 3/4 ton V8.

When I went out to head for a job with my Van, I went to put the key in the ignition , dash lights came on for a split second and when I turned the key in the "on" position, and it didin't even try to start. then I turned the key back in the off position and when i removed the key, i started hearing this CLICKING noise, sounds like a relay trying to catch or something. so I did some research and found the part that was clicking, its was the Instrument Panel Dimmer with the ignition purple wiring leading to it right under my dash. Then!! I was thinking it could be the starting relay in the fuse box up front near the engine. changed that, and same thing happened.

so I'm kinda confused on what it could be. have any suggestions?