1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vehicle matinance

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Silverado Junkie, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

How can you make a vehicle last longer? My Silverado only has 185,000 miles on it (thats nothn on a 350)and i was wondering how to get more life out of it. I always change the oil reguraly, even if it dosnt need it. And i always use high quality oil, castrol GTX with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and the motor uses little oil(about 3/4 of a quart per oil change). I always keep the plugs and plug wires changed and keep the air filter on my intake clean and change it when its supposed to. I keep the fuel filter changed too. I periodicaly also get my tranny flushed and the filter changed. I also take apart my throttle body and clean all the parts and flush and refill my coolant too. And im never hard on my truck either. Is there anything else im missing or does anyone have any advice for me on this? Thanks.
  2. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

sounds like u're doing the required maintenance already. i do the same thing as you as well as flush out my brake fluid once a year. just recently i discovered sea foam to clean out the carbon.
  3. Black & Tan

Black & Tan Member

I see a lot of members on the site swear by SeaFoam, but I'm a little confused when they talk about putting it in their "vacuum line". I'm not sure where exactly that would be. I've used it in the gas before, but I'm interested in seeing what it will do if used in the oil & vacuum line. I've got a Town & Country thats had the ERG valve code coming up for a year & I'm thinking about trying to get SeaFoam in the vacuum line & see if it will flush anything out.
  4. jedepsub

jedepsub Rockstar

There are alot of videos on Youtube on using sea foam or go the Sea foam website.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

keeping it at a fast idle, slowly pour the seafoam into the vacuum hose connected to the brake booster [it will twist and pull out of the booster] so it gets sucked into the intake. Once it's in, shut the engine off for 15-20 min. Do this outside 'cause all the crud the seafoam loosened is gonna make it smoke like a crrop duster once it starts again. It may be hard starting but once it catches you'll be fine...

It helped on the 4.3L EGR on my Jimmy the first time. The next time I had to remove the EGR and break out the carbon crud inside the valve plunger housing...
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  6. Black & Tan

Black & Tan Member

Thanks so much for the help. I looked on youtube & found that helpful too. I have been thinking about removing the EGR valve & cleaning with some brake cleaner or something, but I was afraid I would damage the gasket. I have been told recently that the gasket is metal & it rarely comes off or breaks when the valve is removed. I'm going to try the seafoam vacuum line Saturday a.m. on the van.
  7. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Thanks for the help and the info about usn seafoam. I think i'll give it a try.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

The EGR came off my Jimmy's 4.3L w/ out a gasket problem. That valve is a cutout 'U turn' passage w/ a plunger that closes off one side. I was able to reach in the open side w/ a little screw driver and break up the ring of carbon that had formed behind the plunger. I shook the carbon chunks out thru the open side and made sure the plunger moved freely & bolted it back on...

I think if you are careful removing the valve you shouldn't mess up the metal gasket, don't use the BFH.