GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Vehicle Security

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 1flyfisher, Jun 16, 2010.

1. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

I have a 2010 GMC and I don't want it to get ripped off by some punks. It has the etched key Pass- Start Theft Detection keys.

I am thinking about getting a Viper.
    What do you have?
    What should I get?
    Does my Insurance go down?

What vehicle security do you Have?
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

Let me start by saying if they want your truck/car bad enough no alarm will stop them 100%. Real car thiefs will disable your alarm with seconds via your battery.

Viper is good...I have Python which is the same company I believe. Onstar now has the ability to disable your vehicle if stolen...well its called Vehicle Slowdown....they can reduce the engine power gradually until the vehicle comes to a stop.

Does insurance go down? depends on your carrier and how much.

ignition kill, and glass breakage sensors, door/hood/trunk/tailgate pins to trigger when a door is opened are the most common functions....

I added infra red to mine..it sets up a infra red grid outside the truck and the alarm chirps 3 times if your too close...how close is on how sensative you set it...infra red is nice to if you want to run in somewhere and leave your windows down.
  3. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

Thanks
    I am trying to figure out what I want to get.
    I don't know much about them.
    I was looking at this one.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+Viper+3-Channel+Security+System+with+Keyless+Entry+%28Basic+Install+Included%29/6354777.p?id=1076628577516&skuId=6354777

I am not trying to stop professional thieves. If they want it they will get it. I doubt they want a 2010 GMC Savana AWD van. I am trying to prevent, stop or catch vandals, joy riders and punks from going after my stereo or wheels. I have wheel locks. We have a lot of teens breaking into cars after iphones and ipods and stuff left in vehicles.

If I could set a sensor for people that if someone comes close to my vehicle say 6" and the thing starts to beep at a reasonable level and then increasingly louder if the vehicle is touched would be great.
  4. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

You can get a battery back up and Back up siren for your alarm so it will still go off even if the battery is disconnected. I have the Viper 5901 with a audio sensor and a proximity sensor. My only complaint is that every once in a while the proximity sensor glitches and goes off randomly. But I guess this is a common problem with the sensors.
  5. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

If your vehicle is parked outside your home a 2 way remote would be nice...if the alarm is triggered you will get a message on your remote...the 2 way isnt as effective at the mall or places like that due to distance issues or things blocking the signal. Alarms will claim they have up to a mile range but I have found even window tint can diminish that range.

A friend of mine had his new iPhone in his truck and they simply broke the window and took it anyway.....he had an alarm but it didnt seem to deter them.