very confused

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by KmKing, Dec 9, 2009.

1. KmKing

KmKing New Member

wife was driving 1980 Chev 3/4 ton down the road when it randomly backfired!
    causing a short out- or a short out caused the backfire not sure which-
    after the backfire all the electrical started freaking out- whipers were sporatic- blinkers
    were just as crazy- when i gave it gas it seemed short of power couldn't get going- even tho we
    were still moving.. i pulled the truck over for fear of ruining something. shut truck off
    towed it home... and now nothing stereo doesn't work- the only thing that works right now
    is that head liights- i checked all fuses they are fine! this truck has been perfect sum 1 pls help
    thanks "J"

2. Get the test light out and start tracing, and check your gound cables.

3. Tommygunz

Tommygunz Rockstar

I would check grounds first

4. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

ya it sounds like something major grounded out somewhere

5. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah, I also say its a ground, Make sure the bats terminals are tight and it's wires arent worn out somewhere, I think that would cause it. Good Luck

6. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 New Member

also dont rule out the ignition switch almost everything effected runs thru it and they do go bad, i would check your voltage at the coil and see if its battery power. also u can check the heavy wires going into it the 10ga red ones, if it has batt power going in but not out its the switch.

7. a4X42nv

a4X42nv New Member

Did you check all fusible links? I think the headlights are on a separate fusible link from your other electronics. That could be why only your headlights work. Just a thought, good luck!

8. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sucks when the tunes don't work.

Ok, but seriously......the test light thing is the best way. Start at the battery and work your way to the fuse panel. You will probably find a blown fusible link. :glasses:

Keep us posted with what you find and come back if you have more questions.