Very important no start tip!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by FireRed, Apr 6, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

Yesterday I went to start my 2002 sub and it was a no go! I had left it over night at a friends house, I had left it unlocked with the keys laying on the console. When my other half and I got to the truck she opened the passenger door first then I got in and had the no start problem!
    Well here is the kicker if you leave your truck unlocked for an extended period and someone opens the passenger door the security system kills the fuel circuit and it will try to fire off for a split second and then die. Anyway I went to my mechanic to have him go out and pickup the sub, he said "I bet $50 there is nothing wrong". He went on to explain about what happens and what to do, the procedure he gave me was first to lock and unlock the drivers door both with the key and the clicker. I then got it and tried to start still N/G then went on to step two of his instructions, I turn the key off and on 5-6 times then waited 30 seconds hit the starter and the problem was gone, I have since started and stopped it several times and all is back to normal. Try to remember this tip as it is very easy for someone to open the passenger door before you open the drivers door after it has been sitting a long time, the tip will save frustration and having to bum rides back and forth!! Also may save you the cost of replacing a good fuel pump which is what the crooks do!!!

Phil
  2. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good to know. My truck can sit for up to a month while I travel for work. I'll always remember this now. I usually never leave it unlocked though.
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Any idea for what years this might apply to? As often as I leave mine parked (in the garage unlocked) for several days at a time, I haven't had anything like this happen.
  4. 1stTRUCKsilverado

1stTRUCKsilverado New Member

Good To know

That is a very good thing to know. Would that be just subs or would that be all other trucks as well, and would the year matter?
  5. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sweet tip! Thanks for the info!!
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

good information
  7. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Those with different models should give it a try and let us know.

What an interesting feature.....

Fastfoward to 2019 GMTC forum post: "Hey, just fyi for those that have '17 and newer models.. if you try to put the windows down after driving 10 miles or more and not having locked the doors before turning on the ignition the truck shuts off and you have to close all the windows, get out, lock all the doors, wait 10 seconds, flip the rear passenger door handle up and down twice then unlock the driver's door and roll all the windows down, close the door, wait 10 seconds again, unlock, lock, and unlock all the doors and then get back in and turn the ignition on. That will reset it..."
  8. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl:
  9. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

This is from Goolge on the problem, apparently it affects many models/years. My mechanic said many other brands and also imports have this feature. It may pay to look into it before it happens to you, it was very frustratiog plus needing a ride home and the back & forth after wards. You should be able to search any make or model for the issue.

Chevrolet below
    http://www.google.com/search?q=chev...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Phil
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  10. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

hahaha it's like putting in a cheat code on a video game :rofl: