1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Site Rules Very Large Signature Images

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Hey everyone, we're having some site-loading delays that are caused by the large images that are in some of your signatures <and you know who you are> :).

I think we had some up with a few different standards over time, but I think most people know if their siggy image takes up the whole screen or not. It would help if we can get these resized down to something smaller.

On top of that, I am launching a new tool that will offload some of the image loading to third-party servers so we can even further speed up for everyone.
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

I could only hope that my photos and items on my truck in my Signature was only too big....
    thanks, Steve
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not it! (My sig image size is only 48k. Tiny!)
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Let us know if they are too big so the offenders can make it right. Thanks Steve!!,
  5. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I made mine smaller. I hope it helps the site!!!
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I guess I need to resize mine.... it is less than 50k though and loads quick.
  7. o3gerber

o3gerber New Member 100 Posts

What is the preferable size?
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Load speed is predicated on data size, not measured area of the photo. 50k is tiny.
  9. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How does one measure the data size of a picture. I know I tried to load some better pictures but it kept saying too large. But then I see your pic and mine was like 1/20th in size compared to yours. Not being a smart Arse just no a competent computer geek
  10. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There are multiple measurements for photos. The most common is the pixel ratio ( height x width ) but that does not always relate to how big the file is. My new sig pic is around 450 pixels tall by 500 wide. but the DPI (Dots per inch or PPI Pixels Per Inch) is 72 instead of 300.

To make it easy. A picture with 1024x1024 pixels (height x width) @ 300 DPI/PPI will be huge. The same picture at 72 dpi will still take the same 1024x1024 but take almost 80-90% less space aka 80-90% less data to load.

We could always ask the people if they are on a 14.4k modem using a land line to connect to the internet if it is too slow and have them upgrade to DSL or RR.

:)
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012