1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Site Rules Very Large Signature Images

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

Another thing that would help speed the site up is to get rid of the ads. Just sayin' ;)
  2. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ok kkkkkk. So How do I take a large data pic and reduce to a smalle data pic with out compromising the quality. I like photography but just in the learning stages. My anon equipment is quality but I need more training to use what I have befor moving on.
  3. TomsHHR

TomsHHR New Member 100 Posts

Some of the sigs fill my screen , some fill my screen with all the text. or 2 pics and lines of test. Steve may have to ask to limit lines also. one mod per line is a lot of space but put 3 mods or 4 per line saves that.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Coach, most simple photo editing programs will ask you what "quality" you want to save your files (with a slider from 0% to 100%) 100% being a huge file. Set it to 50% and you should be fine. For displaying photo's on a computer screen, the lower quality image will not really be degraded that much, just don't try to print that smaller file to a printer..... it will look horrible.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=25901]Jimmeh[/MENTION],
    I agree. I experience more slowdown from ad load time than anything else on the site. I'm a little biased but I'm of the opinion that contributing (paying) members shouldn't see ads. I suppose I feel payment should entail a higher quality of service ... and ad removal would go a long way toward it. I suspect ad removal for paid members might also encourage more paid memberships?

[MENTION=14164]TomsHHR[/MENTION],
    Those people running tiny (1024x768 ... or smaller) screen resolutions on their monitors or small laptops (resulting in not being able to see much in the way of content of some posts) can tailor their specific experiences to their specific needs without having to impose some arbitrary, blanket policy. How?
    • Navigate to Settings->General Settings
    • Scroll down to the Thread Display Options
    • Uncheck Show Signatures
    • Click Save Changes
    One can also uncheck Show Avatars and Show Images if those bother folks. Individuals with special resolution needs can also readily block anyone whose signatures/posts bother them such that they never see posts from those users, again. I am of the opinion that these settings should be people's first lines of defense/change, as the settings let people tune their experiences to their specific needs. The tools are already there ... so people should use them if they need to do so.

My $0.02.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. PantheraUncia

:) I forget not everyone has huge computer screens..... even back in the day of CRT's I had 17, 18, and 20 or 21 inch screens with a screen rez of 1600x1200.

If you are using a screen that is less than 1280x1024 pixels, its time for a new screen. LCD monitors have gotten so cheap now for 22inch monitors. If you go bigger than 22 inches the prices start climb.

I am running 3 24 inch monitors and the 4th port on the video card goes to a 42 inch LCD TV through HDMI.
  7. TomsHHR

TomsHHR New Member 100 Posts

My net book has a 1024 x 600 screen. Could you buy me a new tablet? I use3 this while I am sitting in the evening.... I run my other computer when needed for cad.. I am a moderator for another 2 sites and know how to shut off the sigs and other items.

And not to be picky as mentioned but for an example surrealone's sig above takes 1-2/3rd pages.. on my screen.
  8. PantheraUncia

I also have a netbook.... Toshiba N105 1024 x 600...... gutted it out and upgraded it to 2gb of ram and a 750gb /7200rpm hard drive. and when it is not traveling with me, it is connected to a 24 inch monitor unless I am using it in truck as large GPS unit.

And the 24 inch monitor is 1200x 1920 pix.

I really don't think there are that many websites left anymore that specificly support the low screen resolution that a netbook has.
  9. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So I read the topic of this thread, and you want to guess what my very first thought was? Yep, you Surreal. I guess I can't blame you though. Nice job getting that pic that small.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I believe there are people here with larger ones they just don't post as much as I do. :) Also, you probably know this but I'm stating it for the benefit of anyone reading -- this site (like other modern sites) allows you to tailor your viewing experience to your netbook use ... rather than expecting rules to be emplaced or people to have to change ... just to cater to the lowest common denominator in screen sizes.

Signature, Image, and Avatar display can all be disabled under Settings->General Settings if people wish to optimize their own viewing experiences. Of course, I think most people would probably rather complain ... even when someone endeavors to remain within the parameters of the site's image size rules, as I have.

The new (current) sig image is actually 39.9K. Also the rules as stated (here: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/content.php/119-history-amp-site-rules) indicate images larger than 1024 pixels wide are not to be posted. I've got room to spare as the image I use for my sig is 800x266.