1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Very Poor Fuel Economy, Speedometer bouncing all over or not working at all

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Gigantor, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor New Member

Hello Forum,

1994 Suburban, K2500 7.4 454 146,xxx miles

I am having 2 different issues. First, I am getting very bad fuel economy. 7 to 9 miles per gal. I am looking to upgrade my fuel system. I am wondering if there is an aftermarket system that can go on my truck or is it better if I switch to a carb system. Then I would have to change over a lot of electronics.

Second, my speedo is all over the place. 2 speed sensors have been replaced already, by the dealership. For this problem I am stumped.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

when was the last tune up? plugs, wires, cap rotor, fuel and air filters? The speedo issue could be a bad stepper motor in the instrument cluster.
  3. Gigantor

Gigantor New Member

I did a complete tune up 5 months ago. Today I noticed the speedo also does not work when its cold outside, Go figure.
    I was looking at the Holley Commander 950. as an upgrade.