1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Viberation or drone from about 45-65 mph

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by GSXR, Mar 25, 2013.

1. GSXR

GSXR New Member

My truck is an 05 silverado. 4x4, ext cab has about 83k on it and when im driving from around 45-65 mph there is a viberation that i can hear and feel on the floorboard. It kind of sounds like when you hit the rumble strips but no that extreme, and it goes in and out the faster you go the more it does it. i thought it was a wheel bearing so i replaced that and it still does it. i did a search and some people were saying maybe the driveshaft? but doesnt seem right with the miles and only ever pulled my motorcycle. the noise is hard to explain but its starting to be a pita! any help or input id appreciate!. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

also the tires are good, i even roted them to check and still had the noise in the frony.
  2. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Any chance you've recently made exhaust modifications? If you have, its possible you've got a resonance problem. Other than that, I'd rotate the tires, and see if it's a tread issue. Worn tires can do the same thing.
  3. GSXR

GSXR New Member

no exhaust. still stock exhaust and tires are good, i even tried to rotate them! im stumped and getting anoyed with it lol
  4. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I recommend taking it to a tire shop and having them evaluate the suspension. They'll do this for free, usually (like at Les Schwab) and you can deduce whether or not there's something in the suspension that's causing the problem. I suspect something is out of alignment or spec.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Can you post a video of the sound?
  6. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

There can be any number of things.... can you feel it in the wheel? what does it do when applying breaks firmly? Is the rim hot to the touch? what happens when you throw it in neutral when it is happening? Maybe a warped rotor, sticky caliper, bad tranny mount or even a hub that has not fully disengaged.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Do you have an Auto AWD position on your transfer case?
    If you do, are you driving in that selection?
  8. steved

steved Former Member

Sounds like a seizing ujoint to me...the sealed for life units will dry out and seize, and still show externally that they are good. Pull the shaft, and flex the u-joints by hand and see if there is a tight one.
  9. GSXR

GSXR New Member

Thanks for the help so far guys, i tried to get a video but you couldnt hear it on my phone. it still does it when i put it in neutral, and when i apply the brakes. and noticed that it is a lot more noticeable if its colder out? could it be the oil in the front diff? and i the viberation is mostly on my drivers side floor board dont really feel it in the wheel! im almost out of ideas but i think ill try the u joint since its a pretty cheap fix and go from there. Thanks again for the help

- - - Updated - - -

also i have the RC full leveling kit on it not sure if that changes anything or not
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I think your onto something with the universal joints... I've personally not had them cause a vibration when they have failed... but I do not see why the couldn't. Anyway, they are cheap and easy to replace and sounds Luke a logical place to start.