1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vibration at low rpm

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Z-71, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

First off let me say hi to everyone and thanks to anyone who can help me.Anyway the other day I picked up an 03 silverado 1500 Ext cab Z-71 with the 5.3 liter engine.I like the truck a lot but there is an annoying problem with it.Whenever I reach 800 to 900 rpm's like when I'm taking off from my driveway a vibration can be felt and heard.I was just wondering if anyone knew what it might be or how to fix it.Thanks again to anyone with any ideas.
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So not necessarily speed, but RPM? Does the vibration happen at other speeds as well as when you are just starting off?
  3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Agreed..a little more info please. :money:
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site. Do you feel it more than hear it?
  5. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for responding so quickly everyone.This seems to be all about rpm because it has also done it at Idle when the r's get near 8 or 900.Also it is not a constant vibration but any time the r's get around there it does it for a second or so.It's fairly loud from inside the cab...with the heater set to 3 or 4 you can still hear it.And yes I can feel it too but it's more noise than anything else.
  6. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

First, welcome to the site!

Have you checked the motor mounts? That's where I would start.
  7. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's where I'd go as well. Engine/transmission mounts.
  8. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

ok first thing in the morning I'll check for worn/broken mounts and play and let you know what I find.
  9. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Alright,I checked the motor/trans mounts today and everything is like brand new but when my friend stopped by and I told him what was happening he said that the 03,s had problems with the cats going bad.He thinks that the inside of one of the cats is loose and rattles at a certain rpm.so I guess I'll need a new y pipe with the cats.Anyone know what a new one might cost?My friend thinks around 6 to 800 dollars.
  10. EagleTalons

EagleTalons Rockstar 100 Posts

Better get a cat quickly they are going to go up in price pretty steep soon. A mine which makes platinum and palladium in Montana is closing its doors for a while. I think its also one of the largest deposits of those minerals.