1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vibration in front end and rear end noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Metaluzc, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

This is a two part thread so any help on one or both situations would be appreciated:

Front End- I'm pretty sure of what the problem is but would like some input from those who are more mechanically inclined than myself (not hard haha). Anyways, I recently had a tire shop put NEW tires on my truck and they suggested using "beads" to help fill in soft spots on the tires instead of using "sticky weights" and when I hit between 50-55mph the front end has a vibration; tire shop claims it is because the "beads" take time to work but the vibration is a daily issue. From start-49mph nothing, from 56-beyond, nothing either. I am thinking that the shop just screwed up the alignment and I just need to take it to a reputable garage to have it re-aligned but I don't understand why the problem is only at those specific speeds. I am hoping that installing my recently purchased skyjacker steering stabilizers will help fix the problem before I HAVE to take it to be re-aligned and spend more money.

Rear End- As with the front end, I have a general idea what's wrong but there could be more involved than I truly know. I live in North Central, Pa., so it is cold all day long this time of year and even worse at 6am when I am getting around for work. Well I usually let my truck warm up 10-15 minutes depending on the temp., lately when I finally get in to head off to work and put it into reverse (automatic tranny) I hear a loud clanking/clunking noise which I view as the transmission going into gear but it doesn't make that sound when I put it into drive. Personally, I think it's because the truck is sitting all night in temperatures under 25 degrees so naturally freezing will occur and the gears are stiff but I don't understand why it makes the noise for reverse but not drive. Also, I don't hear the noise once I drive a few hundred yards and stop and switch from drive to reverse back to drive back to reverse nor do I hear the noise when I come out from work at the end of the day and go into reverse, granted temperatures are 20-35 degrees warmer by 3:30pm but still cold. The noise can only be heard when I first start off in the morning.