Vibration in Steering Wheel and in the seat..??

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 03_z71, Dec 28, 2010.

1. 03_z71

03_z71 New Member

I have a 03 Siverado ext. cab z71. I have a vibration at 45 and around 65-70. I have changed U-joint already and had tires balanced "fatory rims". Shocks?? I am not sure where to start on this one tires are not out of round and only have about 300 miles on them. I have shocks to put on it and also sway bar linkages. The truck only has 67k on it and my dad was the original owner.

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!! Have you had it aligned recently? When my truck was out of alignment, it only vibrated at certain speeds (or over certain speeds).

3. 03_z71

03_z71 New Member

Yes forgot to mention that. I had it aligned. All was good.. I pull a 16ft dual axle trailer with a Rhino. Not sure if that will matter. I hardly ever drive it because I have a company truck. When its in 4x4 I do here some roaring I have ask around to other guys and they say theirs does the same in 4x4.

4. Magna86

Magna86 Rockstar

Shocks could be a possibility as they maybe weak and are not keeping the tire firmly planted. Its about that time anyways. Are the sway bar link bushings worn? Or are you just upgrading to urethane? For balancing I only use one thing called dynabeads. You purchase them once and never have to balance your tires again just rotate them. Relatively cheap and purchase more when you replace tires. I have them in my motorcycle and and had no issues. My truck will get bigger tires in the future and I'll use them too.

here's the link
    http://innovativebalancing.com/

5. 03_z71

03_z71 New Member

Explain a little more on the beads please.

6. TexasEdition

TexasEdition Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

check the intermediate steering shaft.....you can even google it......common issue. not saying that's it, just a possibility.

7. 03_z71

03_z71 New Member

You talking about the recall they had a few years ago?? I just had it replaced also it that was what your talking about. I am going to replace the front shocks on Friday to see if this does anything.

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GM truck club 03. After you've tried all the suggestions above, post back & let us know what you found.

9. 03_z71

03_z71 New Member

I will let you know tomorrow evening.

10. TexasEdition

TexasEdition Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I wasn't aware of a recall. I'm talking about the shaft that joins the steering column to the steering gear. GM had lot's of issues with these on trucks.

Here's another post on lubing it.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?18106-Intermediate-Steering-Shaft-Lube-Procedure