1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

vibration

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jdog468, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jdog468

jdog468 New Member

I recently purchased a 2004 5.3 liter Suburban. It runs and drives perfect, but at idle it has what seems to be, a harmonic vibration. It vibrates in neutral or in gear, with the a/c unit on or off, it is not a bad vibration but it is annoying to me, most people probably wouldnt notice it. The vehicle has 60000 miles on it. The dealer acted as though nothing was wrong with it. You can increase the RPM by only the slightest amount and the vibration stops immediatly. The check engine light has not come on. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, or could tell me what may be causing it. I have already tried putting fuel injector cleaner inthe tank and cleaning the throttle body but this did not help. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Out of true harmonic balancer?
  3. jdog468

jdog468 New Member

Ive visually inspected all of the pulleys and belt, every thing looks normal but my vision is not as good as it used to be.
  4. black jack

black jack New Member 100 Posts

i wondering if you take white paint and put a dot or line on the balancer then take a timing light and use that to see what the balancer does.
  5. Tunnelmotor99

Tunnelmotor99 New Member

Just by looking at the harmonic balancer while it is spinning, it will appear to be out of round but it really isn't. GM has an info bulletin about that. I would suspect one of your engine mounts is probably broken.
  6. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

this may be irrelevant to the situation, but could it be the tensioner pulley or idler arm?
  7. jb9164

jb9164 New Member

My truck has been doing the same thing. I believe that my noise is from the air conditioner pump, If I put just a little bit of pressure on the tension arm on the a/c pump it goes away and my tuck is quiet but when I let go it comes right back?
  8. ponybullitt

ponybullitt New Member

Check for any lines touching the firewall.