1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vibration

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jcobb, Aug 6, 2012.

1. jcobb

jcobb New Member

I have a 2002 gmc 1500 hd withe automatic trans and a 6.0 motor it has a vibration that starts around 40 mph. Ive changed tires put new universals and carrier in drive shaft had drive shaft balanced new brakes and rotors still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Does engine speed affect the vibration? Can you tell if it is driveline or suspension related? Does the vibration stay with you after 40 MPH? How do you feel or hear the vibration? Does it change when cornering? Sorry, no suggestions, only questions at the moment.
  3. jcobb

jcobb New Member

Engine speed does not affect it I shut motor off and put trans in netural going down hill did'nt change. I cant tell where its coming from and somedays its worse than others. It doesnt stop starts at around 40 and keeps doing it. Cornering it still vibrates. does that help any if you need more info let me know.

Thanks
  4. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Is it coming from the front or the back?
    Also, check your motor and transmission mounts for play.
  5. jcobb

jcobb New Member

seems like coming from front
  6. dpeter

Based on the answers to my questions you may reasonably rule out the engine, front suspension and wheel bearings. What do you mean by "changed tires"? Is that you have moved them from front to back and the vibration stayed the same or you put new tires on and it stayed the same? If you can, swap one side tires front to back and then the other side of course driving it after each change to see if problem stayed the same or followed the tire and rim.
  7. jcobb

jcobb New Member

i put 4 different tires and rims same problem at same speed
  8. dpeter

OK, running out of ideas. Time to go back to u-joints. In another thread on this site u-joints had been replaced by profesional mechanic and ruled out as the cause of his vibration only to be redone by yet another shop and that was the problem. Be sure the clips are in the caps and centered properly. Is the frequency of the vibration closer to tire speed or driveshaft speed?
  9. DOOGY

DOOGY New Member

Have you lifted or lowered the truck at time of vibration?