1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

VIN# question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by clonestocker, Jun 24, 2012.

1. clonestocker

clonestocker New Member

I have a 1997 5.7 Vortec engine and trans. Is the VIN located anywhere on these parts? thx matt
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

It should be on a flat spot on the front of the engine block. Not sure about the tranny
  3. clonestocker

clonestocker New Member

Where exactly would that be? matt
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

The engine id is stamped (V8 engines) on a pad near the front of the passenger side of the block. It is near the top of the block, by the valve cover.

The vehicle VIN (and, I'm not sure if it is the complete VIN, or just some of the VIN information) can be found in different locations depending upon year and block. Some are near the engine ID, some may be near the oil filter and some may be at the rear near the bell housing.

I would enter the engine ID into a search engine and see if the location of VIN can be located.

The tranny ID is usually on the bell housing, the VIN should be there as well.
  5. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

6. clonestocker

clonestocker New Member

There is a VIN type # on the machined pad at the rear of the trans but the #'s don't match anything VIN like. Thanks I'll keep looking. matt
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

That is the engine ID, only info about that engine.

Enter the ID into google and see if there is any VIN location info online
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The VIN number will not be on the engine or transmission at all. The VIN was only stamped onto the VIN plate and a few different spots on the body and frame. The VIN stays with the vehicle, where the engine and transmission don't neccisarily.