1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vinyl Wrapping GMC logo

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by aloxdaddy99, Jul 3, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have looked all over the internet and haven't been able to find what I am looking for. I am looking for some vinyl so I can wrap my emblems. That is easy, right? Wrong! I want to get it to match the body color of my truck. Which is Stealth Gray or Blue Granite Metallic. With that being said can anybody help?
  2. AMac

AMac New Member 100 Posts

It'd be hard to color match metallic but last time i was at the graphic shop they showed me a new vinyl that actually uses automotive paint. The guy said you could even wax it. You could check with your local graphic shop to see if they can do a print to color match but I don't think they can print metallic.
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I dont know if you can get it to match your GM paint - they do have metallic vinyl. I have had several customers who have had the Carbon fiber vinyl on the interior of their vehicles and after one summer the corners and edges lift.

You can peel it off and do it again but it seems like a pain in the arse to keep paying to do that.

Why dont you just paint them the color of your truck? Seems a better route.

This one I did in Stealth Grey/Blue granite..the name depends on if you drive a Hummer or Silverado!

Attached Files:

4. aloxdaddy99

I went to the local sign shop and they didn't have anything that was remotely close. It doesn't have to have metallic in it since it is surrounded by the chrome front end.
  5. aloxdaddy99

I have thought about taping off and painting my emblems but it looks like a lot off work. The reason I didn't/won't pull off the emblems is the lack of knowledge of how to pull them off and put them back on in the correct location.
  6. aloxdaddy99

[MENTION=19572]sstoner911[/MENTION]. If I attempt to paint these do I need to use the adhesion promoter after I scuff the emblems or would using primer be ok?
  7. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member 100 Posts

Adhesion promoter would best best.....primer is better than nothing though.

I painted mine without primer or adhesion promoter. Back one is holding up nicely, the front one has two rock chips in it though. When I re-do it I will be using primer.

My tailgate handle has primer - paint - clear and it is holding up well.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had a vinyl cover on the front emblem of my truck, the second day I had it there it got a rock gouge on my way to to work, nobody else could see the gouge but I knew it was there so I peeled the vinyl off and painted front and rear emblems.
    Taping wasnt hard, use good quality masking tape and a sharp hobby/craft knife.
    I used a glass scratch polishing sheet to scuff the emblem cause I was worried about leaving swirl marks then cleaned with a tac rag, primed the front with a plastic adhesion promoter/primer and painted Stainless Steel silver (slightly darker than silver as I wanted it to stand out a little), the rear I didnt use adhesion promoter since theres less of a chance of it getting chips and nicks.
    Obviously without using the adhesion promoter the rear took less time but it was still only about an hour per emblem, about 2.5 hours total time. I would've worked on both of them at the same time taping/painting while the other was drying but I could only get one end of the truck in the shop at a time the day I did it and I didnt feel like working out in the sun.
  9. aloxdaddy99

Ok. So I bit the bullet and pulled the emblem off the front of the truck. I am in the process of laying some paint on it. I hope to have some pics up tomorrow. I would have it finished tonight but I forgot the can of clear at the house. With all this painting I have been doing lately I may invest in a small paint gun. I have an airbrush kit (I have never used it thought, inherited) but that is to small.
  10. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can scuff, AP, then paint and clear. Harbor Freight has inexpensive guns and for the price work well. You wont need a large compressor with something that small.

I use Bull Dog as my AP for plastics. You dont need primer if you use AP but you can if you want. Two light coats of AP with 10-15 minutes between coats and your ready to paint. You can leave Bull Dog on over night and then paint if you had to but anything longer than that scuff again and reapply Bull Dog.
    You can also scuff, prime, and then paint and not use AP.....

If you do get a spray gun be sure to get a gauge for it. If its a gravity feed(not HVLP) and the max pressure is lets say 60 psi, I generally set to be at 50 PSI with the trigger pulled on the gauge.

My HVLP which is a Devilbliss the max pressure is 30PSI for the gun and I set the pressure at 25psi with the trigger pulled. This is of course the pressure at the gun and not the cap...thats another discussion in its self that I wont bore you with. :)
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012