1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Virginia Open Carry

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by rileyjr16, Jan 5, 2014.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I like to open carry my pistol as well as my wife would like to open carry her Smith&Wesson M&P. I know the legal age is 18 to open carry and I know Virginia allows it. One time someone said that in order to be 100% legal in the state of Virginia, the pistol must be registered in the state. Being from Louisiana, and the fact that Louisiana gives the gun owners the right to PRIVATE ownership, we do not have to register our firearms there in order to carry them whether concealed or open carried. So my question is, does Virginia require you to register your firearm in order to openly carry it?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I remember correctly unless its a machinegun Virginia doesnt require it to be registered.
    Virginia state police have a website that covers open carry information on guns and knives.
  3. rileyjr16

I have looked on the website before and it doesnt say anything about it having to be registered. Trying to find out if it does though. Can't carry it to Portsmouth though every morning lol
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

It amazes me how relaxed some states are with the gun laws compared to here in NY. Especially in the last few years with the events that have taken place. Im not saying they shouldnt be relaxed but sometimes it makes me wonder if some of these states are in the same country. I just cant figure out if we are one nation under god why the laws have to be so much different from state to state.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

6. rileyjr16

7. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I'm out in Hampton, no registration needed. I carry a Glock 21SF (ambi mag release and picatinny rail). no issues at all. Just make darn sure it's in plain view, and if you get into a vehicle that it goes on the passengers seat or the cop holder or dashboard.
  8. rileyjr16

As far as I understand, Virginia counts your vehicle as a part of your personal property and it doesn't have to be out where they can see it. You can wear it however on your property or in your house in Louisiana and the same for your vehicle.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i will echo cmaero69car, pretty sure it has to be visible in the vehical to be covered under open carry, however, a trip the the courthouse down princess ann, $50 and a hour or so and in roughly a month you should have a concealed carry permit in the mail.

solves that problem.

Alex
  10. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

The sad truth is, this has not been one nation under god in several years,