1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Void Warranty?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Zamo_8995, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Zamo_8995

Zamo_8995 New Member

Alright, first of all my name is Lucas and I drive a 07 Silverado. I bought my truck with an extended warranty but I really want to modify my truck's suspension with a lift or even just a leveling kit. I called a local GM deaer asking if it will void my warranty but the person on phone didn't help much. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same sistuation and can help me out here. I'm sure the answer is simple and will be once I change something it will void the warranty but is there anything I can do? I figured as long as I take the truck to a certified GM service center and have them install it the warranty should be ok still? Thanx guys and please get back to me.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

EVERY CHEVY DEALER IS DIFFERENT!

I bought a 2004 2500HD from Serpentini Chevrolet, and they were very strict about upgrades. I wasn't even allowed to do a K & N intake on it, I asked about a lift kit and they laughed at me! Some dealers do aftermarket work but you will pay as much for labor as you do the parts, ex: Lift Kit $2,600=Labor $2,000.

I bought my current truck 2005 Regency 1500 Z-71, already lifted from factory. Spitzer Chevy in Amherst Ohio. They deal in a lot of high performance cars (Corvettes 400-700hp), this dealer is very aftermarket friendly that's why I will always stick with them.

I put a 85mm throttle from GMPP, Hypertech Hyperpac, K & N intake. When I asked about these upgrades they were more interested to see how they turned out, when I took it for the oil change they were all checking it out and asking me where I bought the stuff at.

As far as electrical stuff, I have 6 PIAA 520 Series lights that I put on aftermarket by myself. When I asked the dealer he said it was fine as long as I didn't splice any wires in the main harness, so I made up my own seperate harness with Delphi connectors. I left the entire dash and all necessary panels out and took it up to the dealer, I showed him how I ran all the wires and hooked it up to the battery with several relays and a quick disconnect. Granted it cost me about $300 to make that harness, but it was worth it to watch him to try and find some where I had messed up but they didn't!

Bottom line it all depends on the dealer you are with, and yes I do have a 7 year/84,000 mile warranty. My warranty is different because of the conversion, but my recommendation is next time you buy a truck and want to modify it seriously you are better off not getting the extended warranty. Good Luck!:glasses:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4. Zamo_8995

Zamo_8995 New Member

I wish I would have really thought about it myself. It's my first truck and first time actually buying from a dealership so I guess it's a learning experience. Thanx guys for the replies.

5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do a Google search on Magnuson-Moss Act.

Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties.

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Lucas,

Be careful if you need to use the extended warranty. I've seen Lift Kits, Oversize Tires, Engine Modifications void out extended warranties. The repair shops will be happy to repair your truck but the adjusters will void the warranty after they see your modified truck.

On the other hand I worked at a Chevrolet Dealership in the mid 90's where we installed a 4" lift on a brand new truck destined for the showroom floor. Go figure.

7. 1st Synthetics

I hate hearing that they will void someones warranty. The act i posted above prevents them from doing so. But if you don't know then I guess they get away with it.

8. 1st Synthetics

9. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Let me be clear about "voiding someone's warranty". I was referring to aftermarket companies, not the GM factory warranty.

10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I noticed in the last year or so a lot more dealers are actually decking out some of there trucks to draw more of a crowd, as Jimmee said they can put a lift or set of fancy wheels to sell a truck that might not be selling. I think that sometimes that is the best way to do it is buy it already done from the dealer, that way they can't argue that point with you. The down side to that is those trucks are extremely expensive, I could have bought two stock crew cabs new for what I paid for my conversion and that's no Bull****. If you don't believe me I'll put the window sticker on here for you to see, or I could have bought a new ZR-1 for that fact but I love my Chevy trucks and I wouldn't trade it for the world!!