1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Volant Air Intake or Hypertech Max Energy programmer????

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by sgt_in_usaf, May 3, 2008.

1. sgt_in_usaf

sgt_in_usaf Rockstar

Hey guys. I would like your opinions on what upgrade I should do first. Until I get back from my deployment, I only have money for one of these...

Volant Powercore CAI with ram air scoop

or

Hypertech Max Energy programmer.

Right now the only mod I've done to my 2001 Suburban 5.3L is just a drop in K&N air filter. Which upgrade would give me the best increase in fuel mileage from where I'm at right now? I've heard that the Volant CAI can increase 2-4 mpg over stock, but I'm already getting 1-2 mpg above stock just with the drop in filter.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!
  2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

In my opinion if you have the K&N filter already I would go for the programmer. You can always upgrade to the CAI later but you already are getting more air flow.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea i gotta agree with ken the programmer will give u more power gains and more horsepower gains than the CAI will. and 2-4 might be stretchin it on a MPG increase for a CAI that seems high but you never know
  4. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, search around for custom tunes. Otherwise, a good tuner is always going to provide better gains over cat-back or CAI. But they do work rather well together, if you wanted to get them later.
  5. sgt_in_usaf

sgt_in_usaf Rockstar

Thanks guys. I decided to get the programmer. I actually lucked out and found a brand new one on Ebay for $233 (everywhere else was $379). It was listed in the wrong category and I just happened to stumble upon it on accident. what a steal huh? :) I'll post later to let ya'll know how much of a gain I get from it!

Thanks again for the advice!!!