Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Volant CAI Powercore w/scoop

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by xDieselx, Jul 1, 2012.

1. xDieselx

xDieselx New Member

Just installed this on my Silverado yesterday. Wow, what a difference.

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody else has installed the scoop on their truck did they buy the pre filter bag that covers the filter? With the scoop I understand water can get sucked up the scoop or mud if you offroad. I don't offroad the truck at all so I'm not worried about mud at all. With rain or snow where I live (Michigan) should I buy the pre filter bag to cover the filter or am I probably ok??

VolantCAI.jpg VolantScoop.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I think a pre filter would be a good idea with dirty slush and water, dodge the potholes if around Detroit! :sign0011:

3. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the same set-up, however I didn't install the scoop because I didn't like how it stuck down out below the air dam. Not sure what I expected but I decided to customize it and put it in the air dam. Haven't done it yet but soon I hope. I think a pre-filter would be a good idea for the very reasons you listed. Some of my buddies had suggest that those things might be an issue and I plan on getting one before I do the modification myself. Enjoy the CAI it's a world of difference on the interstate.
    100_1418.jpg

4. xDieselx

xDieselx New Member

Thanks for the responses, I think I will go ahead and purchase the pre filter just to be safe.

I do agree that the scoop would look sweet if you cut out some of the air dam. It doesn't bother me at all where it sits now but your idea would look better. Post a pic when you get done.

I had the truck on the freeway yesterday and yes it was a ton of difference. I like the sound so much I can't stay out of the peddle. LOL

Nice looking truck by the way!

5. vtx1800sba

vtx1800sba New Member

I just ordered the same CAI for my 2012 crew cab. I put a Volant in my 1996 Tahoe last year. Big difference. It woke that engine right up. Gas mileage was much improved as well. My 2012 kit should be here toward end of week. Looks easy to install. I did not go with the scoop.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the volant and scoop and yes, I bought the pre-filter for my powercore. I'd have bought it even without the scoop, though...

7. Marcus A.

Marcus A. Rockstar

I put the volant cai w/scoop on my '03 suburban 2500 with the 6.0l. Did not get the pre filter. Should have, the bottom of the filter facing the scoop hole was full of debris. All that water/mist from driving behind other cars goes right up the scoop. Works great on dry days down the highway. Specialy at low rpms, it produces more air pressure in the intake system when there is more supply than demand. Worth the money? I think so. Unfortunatly it will void my aftermarket warrenty if they find out. My Local shop took care of some warrenty things and did not tell on me. They let me know if to not say anything or it voids it.

8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Silverados and Sierras already have a CAI, all you need is a better filter and replace the factory tube with all those restrictive resonators.