Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Voltage gage keeps pegging out

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by rays03z71, Apr 20, 2009.

1. rays03z71

rays03z71 New Member

The voltage gage keeps pegging out at 19volts. Occasionally it will even go about 1/2 inches beyond the max limit. I can usually turn the engine off and back on about 5-8 times and it will reset back to normal. A few days later it will do the same thing again.

Sears replaced the battery in december; asked them about this issue and they told me i needed a new alternator. But here it is almost May and my alternator seems to be working properly as the truck is still running good and starts every morning with almost 122k miles.

Any clues as to what this could be? Maybe a servo motor gone bad?
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Here's some information that would help a LOT:

What kind of vehicle, what year?

Check the actual voltage. If the gauge ever pegs out while you are at home check your voltage at the battery. If you are reading 13-ish volts while the engine is running, then your gauge is suspect. Depending on what year your vehicle is you might be able to replace the stepper motor.

If you manually read the same high voltage as on the gauge, then you may be in need of a new alternator or have some other issue going on.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yep, it helps to know model, year equipment etc.
    Certain GMTs had instrument cluster issues.
  4. rays03z71

rays03z71 New Member

Sorry...my signature was not set up when I posted.

Vehicle is 2003 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab Z71 with the 5.3L.
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You may be in luck to have one of the recall years if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if you still qualify but contact your local dealership and ask them about the gauge cluster recall.
  6. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

I would meter the battery out, and when its running you should read no more than 13.8VDC when testing pos to neg on battery terminals. If you are reading any higher than 14vdc I would suspect your voltage regulator first. Those are usually a 15-20 dollar part and much easier to replace, and check without paying big bucks for an alternator to find out it really is a 20 buck part.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What LostSoul said. If the alt is putting out too much voltage you'll start experiencing dead battery type issues, but it's the battery getting killed by too much voltage. Ask me how I know. :lol:
  8. rays03z71

rays03z71 New Member

I tried this the other day and I with the truck running i was getting between 14 and 14.2VDC. Looks like I will be looking up how to test the voltage regulator. I've got a repair manual at home...will check it first.
  9. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

14.2 is not out of line and the fact that your gauge reads 19+, I would check into the gauge cluster recall.