1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Volts fluctuating?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by HEINEKEN4MENOTU, May 16, 2009.

1. HEINEKEN4MENOTU

HEINEKEN4MENOTU New Member

I have a 2004 silverado 1500 with a 5.3 and just lately the volts have been dropping on the dash, and it gets as low as 9 volts. When this happens it tells me to service brake system, abs light comes on, parking brake light on, security light on, and then it tells me i have no fuel and the oil pressure gauge drops. Also when i have the air on it gets hot. Can anyone help me?
  2. HEINEKEN4MENOTU

hello can anyone help

I need help now my air stopped blowing cold and my tranny won't shift
  3. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts

might need a recharge on the ac, and also might need a new tranny if it doesn't shift.
  4. bd1326

bd1326 New Member

have you had the altenator tested?
  5. HEINEKEN4MENOTU

tbc

So today my truck was running alright and i had the alternator tested. They said that it was fine it seems like all my problems start happening when the volts drop down. I have no clue what it is but it won't let me run all my accessories at once. This shop says it was my ignition switch but i let you guys know tomorrow.:rofl:
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

To do a little self check on the alternator, start the truck kup in the driveway, pop the hood and disconnect the battery while it is running, if it dies then you DO have an alternato issue
  7. TahoeFever

TahoeFever New Member

X2 cause i just had this same issue with mine took it into autozone said it was fine asked to them to load test the alt that means for them to move their lazy butts outside with the machine and hook it up and wam it couldnt keep up the volts ..they swaped it out same day
  8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

X3 on the ignition switch. First symptoms are the flickering dash lights. Then the transmission quits shifting and sets a bunch of codes. Most of the codes are false codes caused by low voltage from the ignition switch. Other systems such as the A/C go inop as well.