1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vortec 383 What Cam to use

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by OleBlue97, May 28, 2009.

1. OleBlue97

OleBlue97 New Member

I am working on building a 383 Stroker for in my 1997 C1500.I am using a 383 rotating assembly with -12cc Dish pistons to get a Compression ratio 9.7:1 with 64cc Patriot Vortec heads.I will be running the stock Vortec intake with AC Delco MPFI upgrade injectors.I will be using a Summit Billet Vortec distributor and an Accel Ignition box.I will be running Flwtech Shorty Headers and a custom exhaust.The truck is my daily driver and tow my boat with it on the weekends.I would like to be able to smoke the occasional ricer with it.I currently have a 3.08 gear in the rear but will be changing them to 3.42 gear.I will also be getting a custom tune done on the ECM.Here are the specs for the heads.I will also run either a 1.5 or 1.6 full roller rockers.

Combustion Chamber: 64cc
    Intake Runner: 185cc
    Exhaust Runner: 60cc
    Intake Valve: 2.02"
    Exhaust Valve: 1.60"
    Max. Valve Spring Lift: 0.575"
    Spring Pressure Closed: 115 lbs. @ 1.800"
    Spring Pressure Open: 310 lbs. @ 1.225"
    Retainer Material: Steel
    Valve Seal Material: Viton
    Valve Job: 5-angle
    Material: Cast Iron

What would ya'll suggest for a cam?Any other mods I should do?

Thanks in advance
  2. 5point3

5point3 New Member

My best advice would be to call Isky and talk to Rod. He is the man, if you give him your specs he will pick out a perfect cam for you. Me and my brother have been dealing with him for years, he is a great guy. I believe he is on Vacation next week, its worth the wait if you want the best cam for your combo.