Vortec engine questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kirt8548, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kirt8548

kirt8548 New Member

I have a dead '96 Suburban with the Vortec 5.7L V8. Is it possible to rebuild this engine using a more traditional intake, removing the Vortec hardware?

In other words, I also have a 1975 Corvette (completely non-numbers matching Frankenstein monster) with a 5.7L engine. Could I pull the 5.7L out of my Suburban, rebuild it (or have it done) and install it without all of the Vortec intake components, etc.?

Thanks...

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok i gotta ask why you are trying to get rid of the Vortec components?? and do you want to keep OBD2? Also you will need a way to let the tranny shift properly without the Throttle position sensor, since the 4L60E requires that in the OBD2 trucks, as well as OBD1 actually.
    There really is nothing wrong with the Vortec components (heads are the big deal) and they are very reliable. Hence my questions.

3. kirt8548

kirt8548 New Member

I'm only considering this because I am not going to rebuild the engine for this vehicle. The value is about $2,100 if it's running....and it's dead. I am thinking about rebuilding the engine and install it in my Vette and simply running the carcass of the Suburban to my local salvage yard. I don't know if that answers the question. I'm also thinking about using the tranny out of the 'Burb as a core for a 700R4 for my Vette as well.

I'm just trying to maximize the 'Burb investment I have. I have had the truck since '99 when it had just 33,000 miles. It now has 248,000 and is inexplicably dead....even though I have babied it it's entire life with me.

Thanks...

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok i got ya... hence why i asked.
    Yes you can rebuild to motor to work in the Vette, the 5.7L vortec has the same block. all the makes the motor special other than the intake, is the heads (which require a vortec intake (Edelbrock makes one for carbed motors)
    As to the tranny however that is a 4L60E and will not work in place of a 700R4.

And the dead part, yeah im looking into that thread as well since what you are describing doesnt seem to give with a bad motor.

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you can easily find a used vortec to just drop in the suburban for under 400 and sell it in its running state.

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2..then use the money to drop a nice LS1 in the vette.

7. kirt8548

kirt8548 New Member

[MENTION=19572]sstoner911[/MENTION] - I do like the way you think.....

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Is there a scenario whereby my perfectly running 'Burb would simply die like this? Someone said that even if I go to all of the trouble to get the vehicle back in time (if that is part of the problem), I still won't get it to run until it is hooked up to a computer. Does that make sense?

8. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, I think if your truck has the "crank relearn" option for your computer(if thats what your asking) you have to hook it up to a tech 2. You will know if its just plug and play so to speak once you try to start it..it will start then die.