Vortec intake on a TBI setup?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cmobile, Jan 12, 2011.

1. cmobile

cmobile Former Member

I am thinking of putting this on it. http://tinyurl.com/4n74auz it's like a K&N intake but cheap and from Amazon. (easy returns, LOL)

Recently I turned my air cleaner top plate upside down to expose all sides of the K&N element. I know it sucks in hotter air by doing this but the temps are about 15* lately. It seems to have more "pep" but you can really hear that engine howl now.(no silencer)
    I can't seem to keep my foot out of it now LOL:rofl:

Here are my thoughts. In an effort to get a CAI (remote filter) and keep the noise down, I could use part of this kit, but run it to a stock filter assy from a 98 truck, then use a stock K&N filter. It seems that the 98 Vortec (not sure all years) have huge filters compared to TBI filter cleaners and would flow better much better, but still offer a silencer.

Would I be defeating the purpose of the CAI (remote filter) with this? I don't want to leave the filter inside the compartment so suck in hot air. I can't afford a volant type system either.

Your thoughts??
    ~C