1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vortec intake on a TBI setup?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cmobile, Jan 12, 2011.

1. cmobile

cmobile Former Member

I am thinking of putting this on it. http://tinyurl.com/4n74auz it's like a K&N intake but cheap and from Amazon. (easy returns, LOL)

Recently I turned my air cleaner top plate upside down to expose all sides of the K&N element. I know it sucks in hotter air by doing this but the temps are about 15* lately. It seems to have more "pep" but you can really hear that engine howl now.(no silencer)
    I can't seem to keep my foot out of it now LOL:rofl:

Here are my thoughts. In an effort to get a CAI (remote filter) and keep the noise down, I could use part of this kit, but run it to a stock filter assy from a 98 truck, then use a stock K&N filter. It seems that the 98 Vortec (not sure all years) have huge filters compared to TBI filter cleaners and would flow better much better, but still offer a silencer.

Would I be defeating the purpose of the CAI (remote filter) with this? I don't want to leave the filter inside the compartment so suck in hot air. I can't afford a volant type system either.

Your thoughts??
    ~C