1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vote to help me decide!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cj11209, Aug 2, 2013.

1. cj11209

cj11209 New Member

Alright guys need some opinions again. So after looking around and in the price I want to pay and what I want 09-11 silverado crew cab I can get a 2wd with around 30,000mi or a 4wd with around 65,000mi. Vote for 2wd or 4wd and also for Red or Black. Thank you!
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Active Member Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2WD Black.

Unless you really need it, the 4WD is just extra parts/weight you have to deal with. A weak argument at best but still worth considering. On top of that, it has twice the mileage as the 2WD you are looking at. I would avoid a pre-owned with either 4WD (unless I really needed it) or high mileage but a pre-owned with both? I'd pass.
  3. wjamwhitis

wjamwhitis New Member

I had a 2wd 2004 Sierra for 1 year and even though I never had any problems with it, I wished that I had bought a 4wd. I never got stuck in snow, but even a little on the street, my back end would go sideways when I accelerated. I couldn't pull my boat up the ramp without spinning my back tires. I also like the looks of a 4wd being higher. I traded for this 4wd and will never own a 2wd again. I know its there when I need it! Oh and black or red look great.
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

normal vehicle purchase with a 2wd or 4wd would be towing/plowing/off road use. I got 4wd here in snow country . If I got to work I got paid. If I did not get to work NO PAY ! So I paid extra and got the 4wd.

If you plan on just moving some furniture around for your friends then the 2wd is a good choice.

with 2wd all you need is a V6 engine. these vehicles 1500 are very light weight. better MPG also.

with color both red/black are tough colors in hot weather . I like the lighter colors. white/tan/gray tones.

also these colors do not show dents/scratches as much.

good luck .
  5. cj11209

cj11209 New Member

Thanks yall! Where I am in NC I dont really get much snow. I have always had 2wd trucks and been fine in those for the little bit of offroad and playing in some occasional mud that I do. Either way going to put some nice all terrains on it which i think will help grip a little better. I have also when we had alot of snow which aint very often put center blocks on the back of the truck and never had a problem. Honestly I think if i had the 4wd it would only go in 4wd maybe 1 or 2 times a year if i got myself in trouble. And on the other colors i know they are tons better on not showing imperfections especially black but i just cant help but love the black and really like the red.
  6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I am going to assume that the 2WD and 4WD are equipped the same(interior, cosmetics, etc.) except for 2WD vs. 4WD.

Do you need 4WD, if yes then get the 4WD. Since I don't off road or tow a boat up a slick ramp, the need for 4WD is not there.

I personally would rather have a red truck over a black truck, black is too hard to keep looking clean.

So if you are asking my opinion, I vote to get the red 2WD crew cab with 30K miles.
  7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

How is the snow there? What kind of work do you do? What kind of roads do you drive on everyday?

These are all important factors for your decision. Me for example, Im a contractor living in CO. I drive on paed roads 90% of the time but when it snows, IT SNOWS! lol I also have to travel on country backroads to get to job sites at times. if i happen to be out there working and its been raining all day, My 2wd Dodge 3/4 ton just dont cut the mustard unless i want to be winched out. so, with that being said i purchased a 90 suburban 4x4 so i can still tote necessary equipment and get home free of embarassment
  8. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I would say 4wd red, with z71 package
  9. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

2wd red. lifted 2wd's are CLEAN!!! ;)
  10. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Rockstar 100 Posts

I haven't had a 4x4 in almost 10 years and do not miss it other than the looks of a big tire, lifted truck. If you don't really need it as you kinda alluded to just think how much more those big tires cost, how much gas cost, how much more you'll pay in maintenance, and oh yeh insurance. As someone else has said if you need 4x4 then get it but if not, 2wd is just fine. I lasted 3 years in upstate NY, and other than some new tires, lots of weight in back and driving smart, I never had an issue in the winter. yeh, it got squirrelly a few times..but nothing to sweat about. oh and nnbs 2wd and 4wd have the same height, except Z-71 have a little more (please correct me if I am wrong about this)